Two Shillings and An Irish Rose!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Top O' the Mornin' to ya! Or Evening as the case may be. Yes, Another Saint Patrick's Day has come and gone. How did you spend the day? My day was spent pursuing this wonderfull hobby.. well, at least the last couple of hours of it anyway. I began my day in a waiting room.
Yes, Waiting room, I'm sick, illing, got sinusitis and all that drainage is clogging up the pipes. But it wasn't a doctor's waiting room I was in this morning, it was at my local Midas Store. I had to have my little white truck looked at today. I've noticed over the past two weeks that my little wagon wants to pull to the right if I don't have at least one hand firmly on the steering wheel keeping it corrected. Oh Goody! With all this winter's new crop of pot holes in the streets I was thinking that I was going to need a front end alignment.. could be expensive. I wasn't though, didn't need an alignment after all, one of my front tires had a couple of cords separate (radial tires) and it was causing my truck to pull to the right, a simply cross rotation of the tires and I was no longer pulling to one side. Of course I'm going to need new tires this summer, but it was an expense that I didn't incur today anyway. Feeling better, about my ride anyway, I returned home and found that I was at loose ends today, being a day off and no errands to run (*GASP*)
I dosed myself with another round of decongestant and grabbed my detector and headed off to a couple of grade schools I've had my eyes on. In another town, and NOBODY has been detecting these playgrounds! I could hardly wait till school had let out for the day, but I wanted to make sure the School business was done for the day before I made my entrance. While I waited for about an hour, I drove around this little town and checked out some future metal detecting sites. Ah, the sights of Paris... Paris Kentucky that is. Not a bad little town. Anyway by 3:30 I figured I'd waited long enough so I stopped at the first of the two elementary schools I'd planned on searching today.
I wasn't long into the woodchips before I started finding goodies. Mostly clad, but hey! That's Money! Lots of Dimes and Quarters too! I found a portion of a small bracelet, looks like the chain broke. I don't think it's even silver plated from the looks of it, perhaps nickel plated copper or something like that. Not far from that was my first foreign coin of the day, a whopper too! It's a Two Schilling piece, dated 1941.

3-17-08 003.jpg : 3-17-08 004.jpg

I'm thinking someone may have brought this home from the war (World War II) and little Johnny ended up with it, and lost it.. and *I* ended up with it. <grin> I found a few nickels, some pennies and of course pull tabs, but these were mostly older style pull tabs.. "Duck calls" if you will. At one point I looked up and there was a woman in a business suit approaching me from the direction of the school. I stopped detecting to greet her and was informed that she was the principle of the school and was concerned that I might be damaging the playground somehow and was checking to see if that was the case. I reassured her that I was not damaging anything and even showed her how I would go about "digging" a target.. basically just brushing the woodchips aside to get to the coin and then filling the hole back in behind me. That and my giving her one of my cards that my darling wife made for me put the principle's mind to rest. And with that I continued my search of the playground. Of course it didn't hurt that she saw me pick up a couple of drink bottles and a can or two and put them in the garbage can on my way out. I'll be welcomed back to that playground. Of course it might be a year or so before I go back there, take a while to "restock" all the coins that I found today!
At the second school I found the usual clad and pull tabs.. and pencil "heads" (erasure holders), and another foreign coin. This coin is the size of a quarter but it has no decipherable denomination on it, the only English on it is the United Arab Emirates on one side, I guess the rest is in Arabic or whatever. Pretty cool. I also found my Irish Rose at this playground. Some little girl was heartbroken today when she discovered it missing I'm sure. Well maybe not, this little pin still had the back on it, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't being worn when it was lost in the woodchips.

3-17-08 006.jpg : 3-17-08 007.jpg : 3-17-08 008.jpg : 3-17-08 009.jpg : 3-17-08 010.jpg : 3-17-08 011.jpg
Perhaps it was in a pocket and got spilled like so many coins that I was finding. SHEESH! Not a record day for me by any stretch of the imagination, but a VERY good day all the same.

3-17-08 001.jpg

Between the two grade school playgrounds I found $7.66 in clad, Two Schillings, One (whatever the hell it is) United Arab Emirates coin, One gold or gold plated rose pin with two green gemstones (real?), and the usual mix of pull tabs and pencil heads etc. Of course I didn't realize that till I got home and counted everything. I was just relieved that I'd not lost my phone. Oh yeah..forgot to mention that I nearly lost my cell phone while detecting today.
I'd just started hunting the first playground this afternoon when my wife called to see what I was up to. After finishing that call I put my phone in my finds bag.. or so I had thought. I stopped to get a soda on my way home and was going to call my wife to let her know I was on my way.. but no phone! I looked in my pockets, looked in the truck seat, under the seat, behind the seat.. looked in my finds bag, under it, around it, all through the back of my truck... YIKES! Then I started backtracking. I thought of the last time I'd used the phone and headed back to the first grade school playground.. sure enough, there it was! WHEW! I got back in my truck and headed home, calling my wife to let her know and tell her about my little panic session. SHEESH!
Anyway, that's how I spent my Saint Patrick's Day. For the most part it was rather enjoyable, and somewhat profitable, if not monetarily at least for my well being. Any day I can get out and swing the detector is a good day in my book. Hope you all had a good day too. Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
I, in a jocular decorous manner, perused your genteel expatiation. :tongue3: :D In a metal detecting sense, I love you, man! :D :tongue3: :icon_sunny:

Keep sweeping!

Kirk :coffee2:

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Nice....the schilling has a great design on it.
Nice gem and gold too. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Still no information on that UAE coin (United Arab Emirates) I thought maybe someone on here might be able to ID it for me.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Pretty good finds Frodov! Hope the town wasn't too far from home what with the price of gas these days. Seven bucks is seven bucks. Cute little gold colored object too.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Frodov! Your posts are always fun to read..you have a way of making every hunt an adventure!

Glad you got out and also glad you retrieved your cell phone :)

HH,
Nat

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a two Shilling or Florin (you spelt it like the Germans, in your text) :D Its part silver & something that I rarely find here in the fields 8)

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
Its a two Shilling or Florin (you spelt it like the Germans, in your text) :D Its part silver & something that I rarely find here in the fields 8)

Thanks Crusader. <sheepish grin> I guess I need to watch my spelling a bit when using English with an Englishman.. granted English is supposed to be my native language, but I understand it's not "The Queen's English". Still though, I'm sure I'd be a pit amused if someone spelled our "dollar" as say.. "duller" or "dollor" or some other variation. <chuckle> Thank you again for pointing out my mistake. Spell check didn't catch it because it *IS* a legitimate spelling, just not the correct one for my use. Perhaps we rely too much on machines and not enough on our god given "hardware"..or would brains be considered "software"?
You say the Two "SHILLING" piece I found is or has silver in it? COOL! Biggest piece of Silver I've found to date! WOOHOOO! Even if I did spell it wrong and it comes from another country and I have no clue how it ended up where I found it.. cool!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Captn_SE said:
Congrats on your Big Silver 2 Shilling find!!!

Your other foreign coin looks to be a 1 Dirham coin from the United Arab Emirates.
Here's a link for further information on the coin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Emirates_dirham

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Captn SE ! checked out that website, neat. I'm roughly calculating in my head, so it's probably incorrect, but this coin is worth roughly 34 or 35 cents US. Worth more to me as a novelty and conversation piece but it's still pretty cool to know. Again, thanks for the info.

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Natman said:
Nice finds Frodov! Your posts are always fun to read..you have a way of making every hunt an adventure!

Glad you got out and also glad you retrieved your cell phone :)

HH,
Nat

NO KIDDING!!!! If I'd lost my Leash..er..uh Cell phone, my wife would probably curtail any future metal detecting outings until I'd replaced it. Got to be able to answer when the boss calls. <grin> Or at least explain why I'm not home or have run errands I was supposed to take care of or whatever. Fortunately disaster was averted, this time.

Frodov

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov said:
CRUSADER said:

Thanks Crusader. <sheepish grin> I guess I need to watch my spelling a bit when using English with an Englishman.. granted English is supposed to be my native language, but I understand it's not "The Queen's English". Still though, I'm sure I'd be a pit amused if someone spelled our "dollar" as say.. "duller" or "dollor" or some other variation. <chuckle> Thank you again for pointing out my mistake. Spell check didn't catch it because it *IS* a legitimate spelling, just not the correct one for my use. Perhaps we rely too much on machines and not enough on our god given "hardware"..or would brains be considered "software"?
You say the Two "SHILLING" piece I found is or has silver in it? COOL! Biggest piece of Silver I've found to date! WOOHOOO! Even if I did spell it wrong and it comes from another country and I have no clue how it ended up where I found it.. cool!

Frodov

yeah, its .500 silver (or 50%).
1946 was the last silver content coin, so you just made it. As you say must have been a WWI keepsake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread