Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yesterday I hit two sites for 2hrs at each. The first site was the third of five homes I’ve recently received permission to detect east of Toronto. The first site was a c.1890 property in town. All I was finding here were modern coins until the 1797 George III popped up! :thumbsup: (pic shown of what it used to look like) I also found a heavy brass pocket watch-case and a ’38 &’42 Wheatie here. Next, I moved to a field that is now planted with winter wheat, but the farmer said it was all right for me to detect it. I found a 1904 Edward LC here last weekend and yesterday I found a 1901 Victoria LC!

I can’t help it… when hunting farm fields I just have to pick up all the glass a pottery I find! :laughing7:

Thanks for looking,
Dave

PS. Tomorrow I have 4 sites planned for 6hrs of detecting… tomorrow’s forecast is for flurries & 34F! :p

KING GEORGE III - ONE PENCE COIN

The "Cartwheel" coins were struck in coin alignment at Matthew Boulton's mint in Soho, Birmingham using coining presses developed by Boulton and James Watt. The concept behind the broad, raised rim was to protect the coin from undue wear. The incuse legends were supposedly to make life difficult for forgers. The size of the coins was a (successful) attempt to restore confidence to the coinage in that the intrinsic value of the metal plus an allowance for the cost of production was equal to the nominal value of the coin. The One Pence ‘cartwheel penny’ weighed one ounce and the Two Pence, two ounces. In 1797 the first, and only, copper two penny and the first penny coins were produced under contract although the smaller denominations did not follow until later. These coins were comparatively large, having a broad raised rim with the inscription pressed below the surface and became known as the cartwheel pennies. Over 45 million were minted in two years.

Attachments

• SDC10612-crop.JPG
    SDC10612-crop.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 125
  • SDC10610.JPG
    SDC10610.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 144
  • SDC10615.JPG
    SDC10615.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 132
  • SDC10616.JPG
    SDC10616.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 105
  • SDC10611.JPG
    SDC10611.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 119
  • SDC10609.JPG
    SDC10609.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 113
  • SDC10622.JPG
    SDC10622.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 126
  • SDC10673.JPG
    SDC10673.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 110
  • SDC10672.JPG
    SDC10672.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 127
  • SDC10658.JPG
    SDC10658.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 96
  • SDC10657.JPG
    SDC10657.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 133
  • SDC10613.JPG
    SDC10613.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Cartwheel-two-penny-1.jpg
    Cartwheel-two-penny-1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Upvote 8

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that's a Two you did well because I've only been on hunts with two of those found compared to probably more than 20 of the pennies.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Dave. It's great to see you hitting some nice coins after being on a relic roll for a bit. Your closing in on another great find. I can feel it

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the detail on those two coins is AMAZING!! Nice finds!!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful coins! congrats!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cartwheel is one coin I have never seen. Echoing Abe, it is nice to see the old coins posted by you. Good luck with the next sites.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to grab the pieces of pottery and bottles too Dave. Nice coins, great pix.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds! Hey, I pick up old glass frags too. Looks like the base of an aqua scroll flask in pic 8, maybe?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that 2 pence, you have been on a roll lately, let's see some big old Canadian silver next time huh?

Good luck in the cold!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure its a 2? In your hands it looks a 1. I can't find a 2's in my collection & I think I've never had one, so if it is, its a rare find here as well. I get quite a few 1's but they must be a pleasing find over there!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Cartwheel was minted for some years with the 1797 date. The penny — 28.3 grams, diameter 36 millimetres, the two is 1/4" thick and two full ounces.

If it's a one or two it's a still a great catch on the coin, as I've dug only two (one penny) on this and on this side of the pond and each time I remember that thick rimmed disc coming out the dirt. It's a crazy looking coin where there's a feeling of catching a large one!
Oh that Vickie is so pretty, great detail on it for sure and it seems that the soils are kind. It's good to see that you got to return to the planted field and the realistic farmer that knows it'll make no difference in the yield if you detect or not in the field.

It's funny how seeds know that it doesn't matter which way they lay, the sky is up.
:laughing7:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If that's a Two you did well because I've only been on hunts with two of those found compared to probably more than 20 of the pennies.

You're right IP, I checked the weight and it's 0.92oz. :icon_scratch:
So this is a 'One Pence / One Penny'. :thumbsup:
Thanks for your assistance in IDing this piece, :occasion14:
Dave

Very nice Dave. It's great to see you hitting some nice coins after being on a relic roll for a bit. Your closing in on another great find. I can feel it

Thanks very much Abe!
There's a heavy frost on everything this morning, so detecting later is going to be a chilly affair!
Dave

Nice diggs

Thanks Dog! :thumbsup:

Wow, the detail on those two coins is AMAZING!! Nice finds!!
Thanks for your post Moose! :occasion14:
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Beautiful coins! congrats!

Thanks buddy!

The Cartwheel is one coin I have never seen. Echoing Abe, it is nice to see the old coins posted by you. Good luck with the next sites.

Thanks Dave, this is my first 18thc. coin! :thumbsup:
Sure would be nice to close out the year with some silver today!
Dave

I like to grab the pieces of pottery and bottles too Dave. Nice coins, great pix.
Thanks for your post Brad! :occasion14:
All I do with them is bring them home, wash them, photograph them, then I toss them out! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you my friend,
Dave

Great bunch of finds! Hey, I pick up old glass frags too. Looks like the base of an aqua scroll flask in pic 8, maybe?

I don't think I've ever found a complete bottle in a farm field before. :icon_scratch:
I keep the larger pottery pieces, but I toss the glass... unless it has a lot of writing on it!
Thanks for your post,
Dave

I really like that 2 pence, you have been on a roll lately, let's see some big old Canadian silver next time huh?

Good luck in the cold!!

Thanks bud! :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, it's only a One Pence... but I'll still take it! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you this weekend,
Dave

That's a rare one to find. I have one and it is a monster!

Thanks romeo! :thumbsup:
Maybe I'll find a Two Pence today or at least a silver Vickie!
Dave

Are you sure its a 2? In your hands it looks a 1. I can't find a 2's in my collection & I think I've never had one, so if it is, its a rare find here as well. I get quite a few 1's but they must be a pleasing find over there!

Cru, when you're right, you're right! :icon_thumright:
You and IP both called it... you guys know your British coins a lot better then I do!

Sometimes I still feel like such a 'newbie' at this hobby! :laughing7:
Cheers,
Dave

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that cartwheel Dave. Puts you in the 18th century and that's one I've never dug.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats!
I am still looking for a multiple cent of any kind. I would love to score a tree coin.
Looks like some really good sites you've got.
Once your out detecting you won't care what the weather is doing as long as you can retrieve the goodies!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, and still a cartwheel whether a one or a two, and like Cru I sort of knew by the hand shot, and said that on the other forum last night. :) But if you ask Romeo about when he dug his, even after digging many on the ones myself, I all of a sudden got a brain cramp and couldn't decided if he had a two... even though it had got my attention as maybe being one at first glance. I think I settled on it being a two before we got back, but if you ever hold them side by side there's quite a difference and I wonder how I had any doubt at all. Maybe because it was the first in about a decade of old coins is what did it.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woohoo! Outstanding Dave...WTG!!

IM

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014