paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly it dipped back into the teens last night so I couldn't keep digging where I found the Spanish silver, but luckily the woods have stayed relatively thawed so I stopped by an old site again and tried a new one. Here's today's haul:

DSC08670.JPG

The first site is around the cellar hole where I found all those LCs in the past and while I didn't find any more coins, I did find some interesting iron relics.

DSC08673.JPG DSC08674.JPG DSC08675.JPG

The site is 1820's to 1860's so the iron is remarkably well preserved. Not sure what the gear is from since this is definitely nowhere near a mill or any other early industry, but maybe a woodworking setup? The hook is very cool and none of the three pieces rusted together so it still moves freely.

The next site was a long shot, but I wanted to try it anyways. The interstate passes through here and based on the old maps it likely demolished a bunch of homesteads. I was hoping this one was still there, but the trail of relics goes right up to the fence so I guess it's gone. From the pieces I found though it looks like the tool shed/barn was here and I definitely found a good amount even without the cellar hole.

DSC08676.JPG DSC08677.JPG DSC08682.JPG DSC08683.JPG DSC08684.JPG

I can't make out any of the writing on the token, but based on the flag I think it's a "The Flag of Our Union" Dix token from 1863. If so that makes it the third different civil war token I've found in this area. The oil lamp assembly is the most complete I've found so far too. The thicker ring is solid zinc which I thought was very strange and the piece to the left is the remains of a brush that still has bristles in it!

The last iron piece is very similar to another I found a few months back and I'm starting to think that they're winter horse shoes. The bottom ridges have little teeth in them which would make sense for gripping ice. Has anyone else found one before?

Upvote 9

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I would be out with a pick and blow torch if I had found Spanish silver LOL good finds I went out Thursday the woods are usually good for digging I think the leaves keep the ground warm Thanks for sharing your great finds stay warm!!!!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif
Anything you pull out of the ground and save paleomaxx are great finds! Thanks for sharing...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice relic hunt! :occasion14:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my "shoot him on the spot" token 2 years back in Kingston, NY. sold it for $12. great save :icon_thumright: check end of wick knob for markings

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SOMEBODY HAS A NICE SITE TO HUNT , NICE FINDS .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread