Two small finds today, after a mini-problem yesterday

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I kind of hit a tree a bit too hard with my stock coil, it has taken a beating over the past 7+ years (since Dec 2000) and epoxy was used once and I guess I will have to do it again. :) But, I went out today with the ML 8 inch coil installed and that combo is deadly on small items.

I got very few readings to dig today but at least came home with two small finds. A cufflink and a small cuffsized button.

The cufflink is neat, since it is my first one with glass and under the glass is what l will call a white snowflake. I believe this is from around 1800 time frame.

The flat button turned out to be a mystery button, I posted on the What is it forum a few minutes ago. It does pay to clean your old buttons, it looked plain with no backmark until I cleaned it in peroxide and some good rubbing with cotton swabs. Then I thought I saw some gilt so I used a bit of lemon juice and cotton swabs and yes, it had some gilt left plus a design!

I have been stymied for coins this month, but my son is more than making up for my lack of coins, he got a 1736 KGII today and what appears to be another French Liard of unknown date, and some tombac buttons, musketball and part of an old spoon. So at least one of us is still doing good on coins, this seems to be a relic year for me so far.

Don

Attachments

• WNeagletypebutton.jpg
    WNeagletypebutton.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 742
  • CufflinkSnowflake.jpg
    CufflinkSnowflake.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 740
  • WNeagletypebutton.jpg
    WNeagletypebutton.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 735
  • coilbreak.jpg
    coilbreak.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 735
  • 8inchProbe Setup.jpg
    8inchProbe Setup.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 731
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a nice set up, relics are cool too. I want one of those built in pinpointers I have an external one nothing fancy.

Nice,

Keep @ it and HH!!

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some great finds

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Those are a couple cool relics. Very neat cuff link.

Didn't know your son hunted. Does he post on this forum?

Bob

Bob, my son has been hunting since he was a young teenager and has about 22 or more years of experience, his finds are equal to or better than mine in many ways........Considering the lack of time he gets to hunt compared to me, he does excellent......

Don

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old finds. Sorry you hurt you detector.

I work in the aviation field and there are some great epoxies and glues out there now that might be able to repair that coil.

You might go out to your airport and talk to an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic at the Flight Base Operator at your small plane airport if you have one.

Just a suggestion.

Thank you for sharing.

Stryker

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 36 years with the USAF, as an aircraft mechanic and scheduler, I just happened to have some two part epoxy which is what I used that type to fix it the first time, which lasted several years. No longer have access to it but know what to look for and I am sure most of the two part epoxies will work fine putting that coil back into useable condition.

In the meantime the 8 inch coil is a killer and in fact I have probably used the 8 inch coil over the past 7+ years than the stock coil, since I hunt in a lot of thick brush and small trees and it is very maneuverable. :)

Don

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,

Sorry about your coil. I posted a pic of this button in your "What is it?" forum post. It has the same maker's mark.

Attachments

• Plated.jpg
    Plated.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Plated.jpg
    Plated.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 415

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Keep at it, Don! You talk of your son's coins, but where are the pics? :D We, here at Tnet, would love to see them. ;) :D

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Keep at it, Don! You talk of your son's coins, but where are the pics? :D We, here at Tnet, would love to see them. ;) :D
Keep the passion high!
Kirk

Kirk, here ya go, Musketball, Tombacs, 1736 King George II Halfpenny and a TBD but looks like French Liard.

Don

Attachments

• DansFebfinds.jpg
    DansFebfinds.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 308
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Don,

Sorry about your coil. I posted a pic of this button in your "What is it?" forum post. It has the same maker's mark.

Neil, on another forum a similar button to yours is posted with silver gilted design. Your button has the WN but it is of a later style, more 1830's. Your backmark is raised , has Plated and the WN button I have, different style shank and the WN is impressed into the button. Probably same maker, just 30 years later or so??

Don

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some really interesting and neat finds. Man, you must have really banged that tree hard! Don't believe I've ever seen a head snap off like your did.

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
Don,

That is so funny, I have the same arm cuff on my Detec. because I broke mine in the field and all I had inthe truck was PVC :) Great minds etc. etc. But it works.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great cuff-link, Don! That clean up very nice!!! :o

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions