jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OAK ISLAND, N.C. (AP) – Two teenagers were seriously injured in two separate shark attacks in the same North Carolina town on Sunday, terrifying beach goers and prompting one shocked witness to compare the scene to the movie "Jaws."
Oak Island Mayor Betty Wallace told WECT-6 that the first victim, a girl, lost part of her arm and could lose her left leg. Just over an hour later, a 16-year-old boy also was attacked by a shark and was airlifted to a hospital, Wallace said. He lost an arm.

Two Teens Mauled in Separate Shark Attacks at North Carolina Beach - ABC News

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% of statistics are made up.........all lost limbs are real.
72 shark attacks world wide in 2014, total of 3 deaths. Sounds to me like odds are in our favor...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what the statistics are on how many of them happened because there was Blood Involved. Either their own or someone or something near by

BamaDave

Jul 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Alabama and loved to fish as a kid. One time while surf fishing (I was about 13) and wading out to my chest to cast my line farther out, something hit me in the leg so hard that it knocked/flipped me side ways and off my feet. I was not bitten but I remember the feeling (still do to this day) and it freaked me out and of course got out of the water only to return the next day to fish again.

About 8 years ago or so (and 15 years later for me) we had a few shark attacks at the beach and I was visiting my grandmother, who often carried me fishing at the beach when I was child, and telling her this story, and she told me that one time she walked out behind while I was surf fishing and out to my waist in the water and a 8 foot hammer head swam right behind me, between her and me and maybe a 1-2 foot behind me, and I did not even notice. She told that she got me out of the water, but never told me why until this day.

Last year I went to the beach in Alabama for the first time in many years (been overseas) and was trying a water detector in the water when people came running along telling folks to get out of the water and to my surprise there was a 6 footer or so swimming up the beach between me and the shore.

Personally, I would pay taxes to put a shark net around public beaches or develop technology to keep them away from surf. Plenty of other places for them to go and hunt, and I prefer my kids (and me) are safe, even if a small chance something happens. Moreover, statistics likely do not consider the numbers of people in water (more people driving than getting in surf) and considering I've bought lottery tickets with much lower chance of winning I find the probability of being bitten by shark, especially if one adjusts stats to consider only those people who go in the water, to be too high for my liking and my poor luck.

As my dad and experience has told me, I tend to be in the wrong places at the wrong time. Just my luck.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
There are sharks in the water!?

40+ years in and around the water- never a problem for me. I've looked up and have seen sharks cruising by. I just don't imitate a food source.

If someone is afraid of skydiving, don't jump from a plane.

If you are afraid of electricity, don't be an electrician.

If you are afraid of sharks, don't go in the water.

But to pay a tax to build shark nets around all the beaches? Unrealistic.

You are in much more danger driving to the beach- but people still text and drive.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40+ years in and around the water- never a problem for me. I've looked up and have seen sharks cruising by. I just don't imitate a food source.

If someone is afraid of skydiving, don't jump from a plane.

If you are afraid of electricity, don't be an electrician.

If you are afraid of sharks, don't go in the water.

But to pay a tax to build shark nets around all the beaches? Unrealistic.

You are in much more danger driving to the beach- but people still text and drive.
G.I.B. is correct, Florida alone has over 603 miles of beaches. Last thing I need or want is to pay a new tax for shark fence. The car ride to and from beach is 10,000+ times more dangerous than going in the water.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep I saw the report on the news. I have always wondered if metal detectors emit any frequency or sound that attracts or repels sharks.

I don't know if this is true but I read it in Hawaii a few years ago. I read that yes, tests indicated that sharks are attracted to the emissions of some detectors. The study also said wetsuits with contrasting colors/stripes also ATTRACT sharks...and stay away from black and blue.... I remember the article because..... My wetsuit was black with a bold blue stripe.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are "theories" that detectors actually "scare" sharks...

There was one thing awhile back about Pulse induction attracting sharks but ?

Also another attack on a kid yesterday.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are "theories" that detectors actually "scare" sharks...

There was one thing awhile back about Pulse induction attracting sharks but ?

Also another attack on a kid yesterday.

Yeah man, It happened in Surf city, Just below my area. The water has been chopped up and dirty for a few weeks now. Not to many people in the water around here lately. Personally, I'm more afraid of getting struck by lightning that being torn apart by a shark :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread