Two U.S. Buckles found in Mexico.

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
To all:

I have not posted any finds in the last several months and finally got around to posting an item that represents a high water mark for me. I have been in the hobby for the last 10 years. I had always admired it when someone finds a U.S buckle from the Civil War era. A few weeks ago I went to a location in Mexico that was used by Zachary Taylor’s army during the Mexican American war the Union Army and Confederates during the Civil war the Austrians, Belgium’s, French and British and even the Mexicans in later events and wars.

The site has been dug for years with all kinds of local MDers hitting it and was known to have been taped out. The site had sat for a year or so and we thought we would give it a try and see what may have shifted up and could be found. We arrived at 8:30 AM and started to hunt, my friend with a shovel for bottles and me with a Fisher CZ-7A. With in two hours I had found several coins and a Catholic, St, ? medal and my first large U.S. buckle. I was thrilled, as this was a major first and a long time goal and me. I called home and told my better half about the find to celebrate the event with her. With in an hour I hit my second plate, which was a baby U.S. both plates in fair condition. The large plate is made of copper and the small plate made of brass. Both have the back with the (puppy paw) hooks. My friend gave up on the bottles and borrowed my CZ-3D I had for a back up and started to hunt. I moved down to give him some room due to signal interference and with in 10 minutes he called me over to show me an 1849 $5.00 gold piece on top of the ground. He had eye balled it as it was fully exposed.

We took some photos and went back to work. Before the day was over I had found several coins, three ring bullets (Confederate and Union), mini balls, round balls, pistol balls, Austrian and French musket balls the but plate to a Brown Bets rifle and a few more odd items.

What got me was that I walked all around were the gold coin was but was so into what was under the ground, I tuned out to what was on the ground. In the end we both had a great day and celebrated on the drive back home. Since we have been back two more times and recovered several more coins, bottles, and an eagle breast plate. Hopefully I can post more photos when time allows.

Some of the coins I found:

1804 Napoleon III 5 cent, with counter stamp
1834 one cent US
1834 Spain ÂĽ real
1864 Empire of Maximilian
VR British Coin Button
1845 1/8 real Mexican
Several others I have not cleaned or that I just can’t read.

Thank you for reading, God bless.

SPWalker

Attachments

• 2-plate.jpg
    2-plate.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 1,290
Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Wow, gold coin and two US buckels!! Congrats to both you and your friend!!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting indeed...I have never thought of metal detecting in Mexico...any concerns, ie. safety legality issues, hassle from the local...advise?

OP
OP
SPWalker

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
You need to know the locals or I would not advise to go. Even then we are always looking over our shoulder. They are good people but it is the government and the mob that are the problem. I have a few friends that have had some problems and they were lucky to get home. As an American you have no rights in Mexico. We only go were we know the land owner.

Take care,

SW

OP
OP
SPWalker

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
Photo of gold coins before we touched it.

SPWalker

Attachments

• GC.jpg
    GC.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 1,271

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks in good shape too ;D

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
I know you must be disappointed for missing that gold! Wow, that would have been the find of a lifetime for me. Your friend must be ectatic. :)

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Great job. Two US buckles and a 5 dollar gold piece all in the same day. Not many can top that! Bet you're going back soon. HH

Desertfox

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND two more finds that I have on my wish list! :P :D

SP!!! :o I would be turning flips if I found all those goodies ya'll have found! 8)

Happy Dance? Forget about it! :D

Just WoW, ya'll! I can't wait to see the pics of the other finds you have listed!

Many congrats!! Nana :)

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I did some gold prospecting in Nicaragua and like you said, you have to keep looking over your shoulder. Great Finds and glad you made it back. I had to sneak out of the country in the middle of the night due to conflicts.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The photo of this gold coin should be on the banner! Sounds like this was one of the best hunts of the summer so far. Congrats to everyone, and happy hunting!

Buckleboy

R

RUDY2003

Definately finds of a lifetime. Beautiful gold and nice buckles....

Keep safe...

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a day to remember. Lord OH Lord I just can't imagine finds like those.
Burdie

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Awesome!!! HH

T

TreasureTales

Congrats to you and your partner, SPWalker. Those finds are awesome, and so glad you got them back to the USA where the buckles and coin belong! More pix please.

OP
OP
SPWalker

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
I wanted to add some photos of additional finds to the post from Mexico. First photo is a breastplate found by a hunting buddy and the second is a French Artillery round I dug a few weeks ago. I was able to get the history of the round from a friend in Tennessee. He sent me an article from a treasure-hunting magazine that had a nice article on the history of the round with photos. The French and Austrians used the round as a ship to ship projectile. The article states that it may have also been used by the Confederates but on a very limited basis. The bumps on the sides of the round were to assist in the spiral as it left the barrel of a cannon. When I dig the round it was completely covered in rust and crud. I could tell it was iron with brass or copper inside from the tone it gave off. I then took it to a remote location on my ranch and soaked it in B-P. After three weeks the crud just fell off. I handle the round as if it is live and keep it far away from anyone else. I now keep it buried in a air tight box. Some day I will have it drilled by a pro that knows the process. Every time I pick it up I get the willies.

Later

SPWalker

Dig on

Diameter: 3.30 inches
Gun: 3.4-inch French Rifle
Length: 6.51 inches
Weight: 8 pounds
Construction: Shell
Sabot: 12 Zinc Studs (.65" dia.)
Fuzing: Brass Time (Missing)

One of the earliest ideas for rifled cannon was suggested by Frenchman Cavalier Treulle de Beaulieu in 1842, consisting of a barrel with deep helical grooves firing a shell with studs on it to ride in the grooves. About 15 years later, that idea was successfully developed by British inventor Sir William Armstrong. The design is simple, reliable and made for a highly accurate weapon. Armstrong guns were often found on larger ship and seacoast artillery. Armstrong supplied both armies in the American Civil War.
This example has zinc studs, where Armstrong shells use copper alloy. The 3.4 inch French Rifle was not used by either side in the Civil War, but there is evidence that the Confederates may have been evaluating it.
The studded projectile concept continued to be used to the end of the 19th century.

Attachments

• DSCN0523a.jpg
    DSCN0523a.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 566

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread