Type Opinions

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
A few of the older members have seen this before. It's from Wisconsin, is 5 1/2 inches long, made of Hixton, and the base is ground. I have had it authenticated by 3 highly respected authenticators, and they came up with two different types. I don't really agree with either of them at this point.

Lets hear what you all say.

DSCN3123.JPG DSCN3348.JPG

DSCN3319.JPG DSCN3322.JPG

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I say, "Wow! Absolutely beautiful!"

sd.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might sound odd but its a stemmed point(blade) and I don't see a whole lot of reason for grinding the base.... Weird.
Do you agree with them about it's authenticity? I know nothing about that material but it strikes me as looking acid-etched.. Why three authenticators.... was something suspect to you?
It looks like an Etley ....odd material for one....sorry you asked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
This might sound odd but its a stemmed point(blade) and I don't see a whole lot of reason for grinding the base.... Weird.
Do you agree with them about it's authenticity? I know nothing about that material but it strikes me as looking acid-etched.. Why three authenticators.... was something suspect to you?
It looks like an Etley ....odd material for one....sorry you asked.

Oh I understand well it is a stemmed piece, and it's authentic alright, I never doubted that. I would imagine the base was ground for the same reasons that other bases were ground. Three authenticators? well, I didn't quite agree with the first one, Stermer, and his type description, but I felt he was pretty close. The next two had the same opinion of it being a different type, again, I felt they were close, but still off.

I don't want to go into more detail about what I or they think at this point and try to steer this one way or the other, I prefer to hear what some others opinions may be on its type.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little looking and all I could come up with was a possible Steuben or Monona Stemmed. As said, your point seems to be of better material and is has better flaking. Just trying to help.

steuben2W.jpg

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'll bet the two types are "Eared Eden" and "Table Rock".

What's in a name. I've handled several notable Wisconsin "Eared Eden" points and am still in awe at how Ritzenthaler could have associated them with Cody. They are definitely early though and generally very well-made.

Last edited:
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I'll bet the two types are "Eared Eden" and "Table Rock".

What's in a name. I've handled several notable Wisconsin "Eared Eden" points and am still in awe at how Ritzenthaler could have associated them with Cody. They are definitely early though and generally very well-made.

LOL, thanks for chiming in Matt. I gotta say though neither of those types were mentioned. Ben, Dwayne, and Jim have rendered opinions.

Last edited:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..."I say"....it sure is real pretty! Thanks for showing it. :)

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Ive always like that Hixton material, thanks for the look.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Is that all there is for opinions?

It's not a loaded question.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice point, and neat material. I am not knowledgeable on typology from that region, so my opinion would not add to the thought database.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was it being called when you acquired it?

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
What was it being called when you acquired it?

I was at a live auction, they weren't calling it anything but a spear point. But a couple years later, I ran into the guy who bid me up till the end, and when I told him that Stermer had typed it a Stringtown, he just looked at me and said, "It's a Yuma".

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eden/Yuma... I can see why you're not going with that the flaking isn't even transverse from what I see

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything but the material and that odd little ear on the stem looks like Etley to me.. But what do I know

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, nice pt. You gotta love that Hixton. How about a Godar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread