Types of Coin counters?

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my bank today to dump a small amount of pennies ($5) and a roll of halves. When I got there, the coin sorting machine wasn't working when I tried to use it. One of the tellers came over and opened it up, used some canned air on the hopper, made sure everything was plugged in right and then it worked. When he opened it up though, there were two bins for coins, and everything was mixed. The coins seem to be counted and recorded, but end up in unsorted bins.

Has anyone else seen this? Mostly I hear about people buying bags of halves or what not from the coin counters, and that would not be possible with this model.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin machines in my area have little slots where a vareity of bags are inserted and filled up at a certain denomination... there is/are:
1 dollar bag(small dollars, holds $100)
1 half dollar bag(holds $100)
2 quarter bags(each hold $500)
2 dime bags(each hold $500)
1 nickel bag(Holds $100)
2 penny bags(Holds $50)

Last edited:

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin counter at the PNC bank I use has one big bin on wheels that holds 70,000 coins according to one of the tellers.:icon_scratch: It counts by denomination and then prints a receipt that I take to the teller. When it's full the teller hooks a pull bar/handle to it and pulls it into the vault for Brinks to pick up.

The CU has a counter that sorts and counts by denomination. The coins are bagged by denomination.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I use gives you a slip as well, I think all the coin counters in banks these days do that. I found it interesting that Arizona State Credit Union uses coinstar in their locations. For regular members it doesn't take anything, business members it takes 5%, and non members it takes 10%.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish the banks near me had coin counters. The closest one is about 10 miles away. Sure it's not far but it's still out of the way.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin counter at the PNC bank I use has one big bin on wheels that holds 70,000 coins according to one of the tellers.:icon_scratch: It counts by denomination and then prints a receipt that I take to the teller. When it's full the teller hooks a pull bar/handle to it and pulls it into the vault for Brinks to pick up.

The CU has a counter that sorts and counts by denomination. The coins are bagged by denomination.

That is what coinstar does.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The one I use gives you a slip as well, I think all the coin counters in banks these days do that. I found it interesting that Arizona State Credit Union uses coinstar in their locations. For regular members it doesn't take anything, business members it takes 5%, and non members it takes 10%.

My CU also takes 10% off for non-members.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most do it seems, but my bank actually allows it's coin counter for anyone for free. Including non members, which is pretty cool.

AgHawk

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin machines in my area have little slots where a vareity of bags are inserted and filled up at a certain denomination... there is/are:
1 dollar bag(small dollars, holds $100)
1 half dollar bag(holds $100)
2 dime bags(each hold $500)
1 nickel bag(Holds $100)
2 penny bags(Holds $50)

I've never seen one that didn't allow quarters before. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread