Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this U.S. Buckle while hunting an old National Gaurd camp site. I am assuming it is authentic, because of all the other military items I found. I know there are many fakes out there. Does anyone know of any specific characteristics I should be looking for? image.jpg image.jpg

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome looking buckle. It looks real to me, but there will be some experts on here that will chime in with real experience. Anyway, I'd be real happy to find what you did. Congratulations.

OP
OP
Nepa-Will

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I was stoked when I found it. Using the At Pro. The signals were all over the place. I assume because of the lead back. The day started out with a trashy place to go, my detector, and a 5 gallon pail. After digging up beer can lid after beer can lid, tabs, shotgun shells, and bullets. I figured just another trashy hit. Then Bam! This buckle pops outs. I almost had to use the sweet roll in my backpack. Lol. 5 minutes after that I found a 14k men's ring and a couple indianheads. I have went back several more times cleaning the trash and was rewarded with some great firsts. A seated dime, 2 cent coin, and some military medals from before 1900. Just goes to show what may be under that trash.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a site!!
Very tuff to find turf like yours.
With everything you've found thus far, be sure to pound it till not a single signal remains.
GL
Peace

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly looks like a real deal 1861 enlisted man buckle to me. And you are right, there are some pretty good fakes out there. I'm def. no expert so I hope someone that is will chime in and tell you it's good to go! Either way, Congrats Oh yeah, you probably should post this on the what is it forum

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be an amazing amount of work to fake that!!! I mean I'd give a minor body part to find one. But in dug condition they are not that valuable to go through the effort to fake it. Congrats on a real buckle.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As the others are saying: There's some very GOOD looking replicas out there. Multiple companies have made replicas for re-enactment groups. And these CW nostalgia re-enactment groups have been at it even since the 1950s. So it's possible for a fake to be 50+ yrs. old now (hence could look corroded, weathered, etc...). I found one at a fort which had existed in the 1860s here in CA. And therefore assumed mine was real. However it turned out to be a modern replica (despite being 8" deep when dug!!). Because the CW re-enactment people had gathered at this site for many decades.

So if you really want to know, you can float a pix on the T-depot relic section. Many many deep south CW relic buffs read and post there.

OP
OP
Nepa-Will

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback everyone. i will try posting on some other threads as you have mentioned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread