U. S. CW Patrol Route Located in April - Relics and Coins, Too!!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
VOL1266-X and I went relic hunting in mid April this year. We intended to hunt a ridge used by Union Soldiers for picket posts and patrols not far from a large US Camp. I had found a nice pinfire cartridge with the bullet still intact there last year. We had also both found several bullets and relics on that ridge in the past. We felt the site deserved another look.
To avoid a long walk, we parked on an adjacent farm where we had permission to relic hunt. That farm had yielded relics in the past few years. When we pulled into the field to park the truck, VOL1266-X got all excited. He said, "They have bush hogged these two fields and there should be relics Right Here!" By the size of the trees that were left in the once clear fields, the site had not been cut off in 20+ years. A small stream fed by a spring was flowing below the gentle slope.
We had not been in the field for 5 minutes when I found a dropped .54 cal. 3 ringer. The first pic is of my finds and VOL1266-X recovered the relics in the second pic. We both found a nice carved bullet. These are located in the last pic. Other best finds were a Hotchkiss Fuse Plug, Shield Eagle button, and a Burnside Cartridge. Obviously, this was a rest stop for Union Soldiers on patrols and not a small camp since we found no campfire lead. The grass was already real high when we located the site and we plan to return in the fall.
I found a 1937 Dime and VOL1266-X found a 1937 Buffalo Nickel. He was disappointed it was not the 1937D with only 3 legs on the Buffalo.
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting from Dman and Vol1266-X.

Attachments

• DSC00338.JPG
    DSC00338.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 792
  • DSC00343.JPG
    DSC00343.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC00344.JPG
    DSC00344.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 788
Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hey DMan

You two seized the moment and made it look easy. That is a lot of loot and I congratulate you both for a job well done.

Thanks for sharing your experience

HH

Sanat

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME hunt there!! WTG!!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman...V...awesome recoverie's to the both of Ya :thumbsup: Great find's guy's!!!Tear it up why you can :)

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Nice finds!

The only thing that confuses me is the Hotchkiss fuse. Wouldn't that suggest an actual battle and not just a "Union rest stop"?

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds, Congrats, I guess all your research paid off, way to go.

Hope to meet you at the next DIV hunt.

HH, Ringfinder

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds, you two! :o

Congrats on that field being cut and those super finds!

Nana

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman, you did not tell the "funny" part of the story. After you found the first bullet, we decided to walk to the ridge while it was cool and return to the field later. About 50 yards from the wooded ridge, we were told by 2 guys with orange clothes (Not VOL fans) that the Police Lt. said we could not go up into the woods that day because they would be target firing with live rounds. It's a good thing they saw us or we would have found some bullets for sure!!!!

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
incajoe said:
Nice finds!

The only thing that confuses me is the Hotchkiss fuse. Wouldn't that suggest an actual battle and not just a "Union rest stop"?
The site is only about 1/2 mile from a artillery position. We found canister shot in the area. This is a remote area where they test fired their cannons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread