fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious if there are any UAW members here and they thgts on a possibly strike? Some of the UAW's demands are a 46% pay raise over the next 4yrs, more COLA as well as a 32hr work week and get paid for 40hrs. I'll wait to give my thgts until some chime in. They're saying just a 10 day strike would cost the country 5 plus billion!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a union for over 10 years, even drawing a union pension now, but the UAW is nuts.. 42% pay raise, cola raises and 32 hr work week paid for 40. That makes pay raise a lot more than 40%.

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a union for over 10 years, even drawing a union pension now, but the UAW is nuts.. 42% pay raise, cola raises and 32 hr work week paid for 40. That makes pay raise a lot more than 40%.
I'm a union member of the IUOE, Was exactly a business agent for years until I couldn't take the political atmosphere any longer! I'm all about fair wages but what they are asking for is INSANE!!!

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unions never start out their lowest offer. Ask for the stars and you may get the moon.
No doubt about that but they've been sticking to their guns on this proposal. Said they want the same as the executives are getting lol.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what it sounds like to me too, fishstick. My job is not union, but some stores in the chain are union, so we have to follow whatever the company negotiates with them. They start out with some pretty cool sounding demands sometimes, but they always come out less. Union stores can strike; we can't. The last negotiation non-union stores got screwed. The union got some jobs that had previously been done by vendors turned over to our employees, and union stores were allowed to hire extra help for these or give PT employees more hours. Non-union stores also got the extra work, but it had to be done with staff on hand. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, because I get to work as much as I can stand, usually 80hr. weeks, and OT after 40.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Been in unions. Not the U.A.W..

Did supply parts to the big three from a nonunion company. Multiple companies actually.
The U.A,W. didn't seem too concerned about what I earned supplying it's members parts.
And manufacturers didn't seem to object to our being nonunion. A win win for every one till the customers went on strike. (Not to see us paid as much as they deserved for attaching the parts we provided them of course.)

Go ahead and strike folks! Knock yourselves out. I'll get paid the same.
It won't affect me today like it used to. Do be glad my experience with labor contracts isn't involved in your affecting others though. One clause that youth or greedy folk don't give a second glance can really steer a contract later. And that's on top of if strikes without a contract are legal or binding.

What's the labor forecast?
E.V.'s require more or less labor? (Less.)
Technology allow more robots to replace bodies or less? More. An annoyed friend hired/bought one to do a simple task that paid well no one wanted to do. Too easy I guess to move small stuff from A to B , nearby. A prestige thing perhaps. Or the no phone in hand was a deal breaker? The robots that used to paint parts I was involved in providing.
Don't sell yourselves short in protections. After all it's not your business!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Unions started out helping workers who were treated unfairly. Few are treated unfairly today in USA. The unions like the dues $$ and need to keep them flowing in. They must gain something for the members so they’ll feel the dues are worth it. All they can provide is more, more, more. I never felt the need to pay a 3rd party to talk to my boss for me. I realize there are 2 sides to the issue. This is just my personal opinion based on my work history.

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you this, I was a better union member before I was an agent. I learned and seen a different side of things that I wasn't pleased with. One can only push it so far before they ( the company's) gonna look for diff options. At the end we're all just a number.

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And so it begins ::)

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that list of demands cars DEF won't be getting any cheaper!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you add it all up, 40% pay raise, 32 hours for 40 hours pay, and increasing the pension, they're asking for over a 60% increase! This would bankrupt the car companies and drive prices through the roof.

I wouldn't blame the auto companies if they moved their factories to Mexico, it will also speed up the total automation of the auto factory assembly line too.

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time siding with corporations in any situation.
Agree but unfortunately in this day and age you have to have them.

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately you are correct TH!!!

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree but unfortunately in this day and age you have to have them.
Why though? If they can’t pay what the workers ask for while remaining a profitable business that’s on them. It’s capitalism in its most pure form. Because of this, if the corporations choose to move production to a place with cheaper labor, then that corporation chose to turn its back on the community that propped it up for so long. There’s no reason to vilify unions for trying to improve the live of their workers. The villain in this scenario is the corporate entity that has made the choice to put profit before people.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The villain isn't the corporation. The average UAW wage is $18-$32 an hour, depending on seniority.

"If they can’t pay what the workers ask for while remaining a profitable business that’s on them."
Since when do employees set what their wages will be?

"It’s capitalism in its most pure form"

Capitalism
noun
  1. an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit.
    "an era of free-market capitalism"
"Capitalism is often thought of as an economic system in which private actors own and control property in accord with their interests, and demand and supply freely set prices in markets in a way that can serve the best interests of society. The essential feature of capitalism is the motive to make a profit." https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/f...m is often thought of,motive to make a profit.

UAW is going to force auto corporations to install more robots on the assembly line, and move more work to Mexico.

What UAW is asking for will dramatically raise the price of autos as well as auto parts for repairs.

I'm a former union worker drawing union pension and the UAW has lost their minds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why though? If they can’t pay what the workers ask for while remaining a profitable business that’s on them. It’s capitalism in its most pure form. Because of this, if the corporations choose to move production to a place with cheaper labor, then that corporation chose to turn its back on the community that propped it up for so long. There’s no reason to vilify unions for trying to improve the live of their workers. The villain in this scenario is the corporate entity that has made the choice to put profit before people.
Listen I get it but it's greed on both sides of the fence. As a BA I tried to make members understand that , yeah we can say we make $100 an hr but if there's no job to send them to what makes any difference. There's a breaking point to all of this, two wrongs don't make a right.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Common sense tells you that their demands are ridiculous. They may be asking for so much hoping that when they are offered less, it will still be substantial. The fact that the auto manufacturers are making record profits is a good thing. Using those profits to give insane bonuses to a few persons in the top tiers of the business just pisses off workers who are ultimately the ones making the product. Ultimately the costs are passed on to the consumers who will be forced to not buy a overpriced vehicle they cannot afford. That can tank a company fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread