Ugh! I finally get out detecting only to discover...

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
My detector has died!!!

I turn it on, it does its three beep start up cycle, reports full batteries and everything seems fine. The only problem, it's stopped detecting metal.

Anyone ever experience this with an ACE 250? I've swapped out the batteries, tried pinpoint mode, detached and reattached the coil, etc. Any ideas?

This is so frustrating as this is the first day in months when I haven't had a million other things I absolutely had to take care of.

Gah!

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Sometimes it's one of those forehead slappers thats happened to me. I had loaded one of the 8 batteries backwards.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IF the battery problem doesn't fix the problem you may have to send it in for repairs. I would consider that before the season gets up and running full speed.

Good luck and HH

PTP

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
I wish it was just the batteries, but I swapped them out several times, including with a set of brand new ones.

I was able to find on another board a thread that sounded almost exactly like what mine seems to be doing. The person spoke with Garrett and was told there was a 50% chance it was a defective coil and that they'd send him one to try out. The thread unfortunately doesn't say if that fixed the problem... I have a friend with a couple 250s, so I may try one of his coils before I call Garrett on Monday.

I definitely need to get it sorted out before summer though. I have a mining camp in mind that I believe has never been detected. It's on 180 acres of claims that have been occupied since the late '60s.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Ack! You finally get away from the remodel projects to find you can't detect?? :o I do believe I would have pitched a fit right then and there! Hopefully when you try the other coil on it that will fix it up fine and I can ship ya out a new coil real quick Monday so next chance you get there will be no issue. So sorry to hear that! I have not heard of anyone's doing that. At least you found a "maybe" fix on another forum. Let us know what you find out!! Give Oliver a hug for me!!

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Yeah, can you believe the lousy luck!? I was so excited to get a couple hours in, rain or shine (bonus it had turned sunny). I started swinging and all seemed normal. The display worked fine, but no signals, regardless of what I passed over. Nothing was coming from the coil. It was so frustrating. I even thought about yanking open one of the 250s we have in stock, but my wife would've likely thrown a fit. :)

This is the first time I've heard of an issue with a 250 as well, but at least it's still under warranty, so shouldn't be a problem to get it sorted.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I would have to start with the coil too. Any damage to the cord you can see????
Short with the battery contact and then the discrinemation button. :sad1:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathan said:
I wish it was just the batteries, but I swapped them out several times, including with a set of brand new ones.

I was able to find on another board a thread that sounded almost exactly like what mine seems to be doing. The person spoke with Garrett and was told there was a 50% chance it was a defective coil and that they'd send him one to try out. The thread unfortunately doesn't say if that fixed the problem... I have a friend with a couple 250s, so I may try one of his coils before I call Garrett on Monday.

I definitely need to get it sorted out before summer though. I have a mining camp in mind that I believe has never been detected. It's on 180 acres of claims that have been occupied since the late '60s.

My buddy had a defective coil on his Ace 250 and had to send it in for repairs after a few months of use. It was covered under warranty, but it CERTAINLY held him up on learning the machine! Don't hesitate to send it in. His was falsing though--even with the sens. way down, no matter where it was used. You seem to have the opposite problem. Let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
I'll certainly let you all know how it goes. Have to have at least one thread on the Internet where the solution gets posted. :)

labradoodle of pa

Feb 3, 2008
newburg pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 Tesoro Vaquero and Tiger Shark bullseye prob
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eathan you always need to have a back up detector and don't leave home with out it any thing can happen or go wrong or break even with a high dollar detector to runin a perfectly good day my son and I both had garrett 250 aces used them hard good detector for the price I am sure garrett will take care of your problem good company good luck get out there and find those treasures Bob :) :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just received my 250 back from Garrett and all seems a-okay. Unfortunately they didn't say what was wrong with it, just a couple line items for repair, recalibration and passed QC... Odd part was is started working again after I took the coil cover off and dismantled it for shipment, so they probably thought I was nuts. Still, better to send it in and be sure than have it go out again.

Hope my next post is a cool find. :)

Bob, I'll keep the backup detector idea in mind. Sounds like a good idea as I get more into detecting.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
So glad that you got it back!! Check out the Tnet member hunts too Eathan....we got a couple of trips scheduled for those of us out this direction. One of them is for sunstones too and remember Oliver and I got a bucket we need to fill for Mama! Sure would love to have you at one or both of the hunts! Get busy and find some goodies with that detector in the meantime...gonna be watching for your finds! ~hugs~

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
ALL GOOD THINGS COME IN PAIRS, EVEN DETECTORS. 2 COILS ARE BETTER
THAN ONE , ANY GAMBLER KNOWS THAT. LOL LOL 8) I HAVE 6 DETECTORS
MYSELF, MY TROUBLE IS PICKING WHICH ONE TO TAKE WITH ME. I HOPE YOU
GET YOURS FINGERED OUT SOON . IT'S SPRING AND THE COINS WILL BE POPPING OUT OF THE GROUND SOON .

KEEPA DIGGIN

M L HUDSON

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread