Ugly merc..

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
...and yet still beautiful to me as all silver coins are.
Found in an area I have hit a million times with many detectors, coils and settings, surrounded by WiFi, power lines, in dirt that is mineralized and filled with trash and iron.
Hunted by others for decades and by myself and friends in this exact spot many, many times more recently and we missed it every time.
Yesterday morning using a brand new Mojave on its first real hunt 26 minutes in I got a signal that said for sure dig me...so I did.

Finding silver is great, finding anything good in this horrible mineralized iron filled masking mess I hunt in is even better.

Attachments

• user10659_pic75424_1495040719_PerfectlyClear0001_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75424_1495040719_PerfectlyClear0001_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 80
  • user10659_pic75423_1495040233_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75423_1495040233_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 12

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That does not look to bad , I have found worse . My town has been pounded by old timers hard . I laugh in my head when an old feller tells me I am wasting my time or it is hunted out . Just recently I had an old timer tell me that he cleaned the area I was hunting three years ago with his $2000 whites machine . He told me I would be lucky to find one silver coin with my ATP . I did not tell him I have found over 30 silver coins all the way back to 1872 not to mention the V nickels and all the jewelry I have found on this site .

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
It's still a beautiful coin. I discovered a while back that you NEVER find it all the first time. Or the second time or.........

That coin is as old as me! and looks better.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
That does not look to bad , I have found worse . My town has been pounded by old timers hard . I laugh in my head when an old feller tells me I am wasting my time or it is hunted out . Just recently I had an old timer tell me that he cleaned the area I was hunting three years ago with his $2000 whites machine . He told me I would be lucky to find one silver coin with my ATP . I did not tell him I have found over 30 silver coins all the way back to 1872 not to mention the V nickels and all the jewelry I have found on this site .

I love when other hunters tell me not to waste my time hunting sites because there is nothing left.
I have found some of my greatest treasures in sites I have been warned off of.
I believe no site is ever 100% hunted out...ever.
There might be way less targets than there used to be but the numbers say these targets are so small, the coils can cover just so much ground, the actual areas we hunt are so relatively large and there are so many other variables that come into play that to believe these guys and not even try would be...wrong.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
she's a beauty too, just some look better. all a perspective thing. I tend to believe that most people walk and swing their detector way too fast and walk over a lot of stuff that they totally miss. plus a coin on edge tends to be harder to get a good signal on.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and yet still beautiful to me as all silver coins are.
Found in an area I have hit a million times with many detectors, coils and settings, surrounded by WiFi, power lines, in dirt that is mineralized and filled with trash and iron.
Hunted by others for decades and by myself and friends in this exact spot many, many times more recently and we missed it every time.
Yesterday morning using a brand new Mojave on its first real hunt 26 minutes in I got a signal that said for sure dig me...so I did.

Finding silver is great, finding anything good in this horrible mineralized iron filled masking mess I hunt in is even better.

Silver is silver, I don't care if it's a bit worse for wear.

Well you did say they were old.......with tha many found silvers, perhaps the old timers forgot to turn their machines on before hunting?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Congrats! That little ole Injun can hunt at iron laden sites. I had to lay mine down for awhile because it was finding so much stuff. LOL
People were beginning to think that I was a dealer. Not so, it just finds a bunch of stuff that other detector can't. For Real!

tabman

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Merc! :occasion14:
She might not be in Mint condition but a Silver day is a good day!

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guilty of finding a merc this year in much worse shape then yours and of course I kept it.
Hell one late night I got a sweet silver quarter VDI and dug through a shale drive way to find
a hillbilly wedding ring. It had been a 1960 quarter till some jack ass cut the middle out of it
and proposed to his girlfriend/cousin. And yes I kept it

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still better-looking than a Rosie. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread