Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newer Jefferson Nickels....HANDS DOWN are the ugliest.

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
warsawdaddy said:
Susan B. Anthony! Looks like 40 miles of bad road.
Yea and the size of the coin was not sucsessful because I get them in my change as quarters

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm not sure of the ugliest coin ever.... But I do think that the quality of US coins has gone down dramatically in that last 25 years. Look at ANY modern US quarter or Nickel and compare to a pre 1980's one. It's like the contours of the modern coins are really shallow and weak. Even the zinc pennies are falling apart, dig one up from a metal detecting hunt and they are many times corroding to the point of being barely recognizable. Is this planned obsolescence?

~Sorry Codes, I ran a little off topic here...

Are the newer coins minted differently than they used to be? Using computers I am guessing? I saw a machine someplace online they used to use for miniaturizing the artwork onto the steel presses. Guess they don't use em anymore, and the coins suffer.

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea, Twitchmn ...I meant.

johloh

Aug 5, 2008
I kinda like the wyoming quarter, the simple design is kinda nice...I see how it could be considered a lack of effort, but I think its likely more simple on purpose.
120px-2007_WY_Proof_Rev.png

two state quarters I think are lame...
1. texas - I mean cmon, a map of your state and a star? can we move past the star? talk about lack of imagination.
119px-2004_TX_Proof.png

2. alabama - helen keller? thats the best thing your state has going for it?
120px-2003_AL_Proof.png

I hate the new jeffersons also...

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW NICKEL IS THE PITS!
I am not a big Quarter Aficionado ( hows that for a big word)
I dont really want to hijack this thread either. But which two quarters are more sought after and why less minted or some other reason?
Thanks

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Washington quarters suck 1932-2009!!!! How do you make the change from the SLQ to a Washington? That has always p@#%ed me off. I also hate Jefferson's 1938 to present!!!! As a matter of fact I hate all coins that were changed from Ideals to Idols!!!!!!!

BRING BACK LADY LIBERTY!!!!

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow TreasureFiend! Well said..... I never looked at it that way.... It's very true now what you said there!!

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
True indeed... but why should we bring her back now?

It would be a total fraud and misrepresentation. This country doesn't deserve to have lady liberty grace her coinage... we elected people that killed her and are continuing to do so! Not to mention the current logos on the coins which also make no sense being there considering the current state of our nation and its people and elected officials.

Anywho... I also hate the Wyoming quarter... but I hate ALL the rest of them too! Even my own state which was actually pretty nice... just because it is still a stupid state quarter!

I also HATE the new Jeffies, they are UGLY!

~Dave

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
If you look at the history of coins in the US, the current series are overplayed, tired, and need to be stopped. Before the current peny, there were indiands, flying eagles, and numerous large cents. 100 years of lincoln = stop the montony. The same can be said for nickles, dimes, and quarters. All of these coins should be redone. What about our other early american heroes? John Adams? George Mason? Patrick Henry? Do they not deserve some recognition as well? And I could argue more fervently that US coins should not bear the faces of men. For the majority of our history, Lady Liberty has adorned our coins in many various shapes and forms. BRING HER BACK!

As for my least favorite coin, the current dime is lame, the current penny is lame, the current qauarter is lame, and the current nickle is lame. Variety is the spice of life, lets revamp the coins, and not with something lame like a series of states.

Maybe we need a law to regulate coinage in a proper manner. Every 20 years, all coins shall be changed, and aside from rare and occasional commemoratives, they shall be the same design for 20 years. Lets put Lady Liberty back on most of them, if not all of them.

Sorry if I rambled, just my feelings.
Anthony

jeffk

Mar 3, 2008
SOUTH WEST OHIO
Detector(s) used
whites XLT
TreasureFiend said:
All Washington quarters suck 1932-2009!!!! How do you make the change from the SLQ to a Washington? That has always p@#%ed me off. I also hate Jefferson's 1938 to present!!!! As a matter of fact I hate all coins that were changed from Ideals to Idols!!!!!!!

AMEN

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
WOW! I agree with all of you about are current coinage. I saw an add for those obama coins and that made me so mad :angry5: :angry4:How could they deface kennedy. Even my grandma was made about that and i never see my grandma mad before. Obama can wait for his presidential dollar for all i care

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
TreasureFiend said:

Yea think the standing liberty quarter is one of the coolest coins ever. The reverse is my favorite ,I love that eagle.
Nice comment TY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread