UK based cannons 1875

Vic-cannon123

Aug 1, 2017
England
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had these two cannons in my garden since moving in and was wondering if anyone knows any info about either of them. I know nothing of their history, one has the letters RGF and the year 1875 on the side and the numbers 1 30 on the top. The other one has no markings. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
The one with the markings was made by the Royal Gun Factory, and is I believe a 9-pounder like one at this site (scroll down a bit): Harold A. Skaarup, author of Shelldrake
It looks like the one with this text: 9-pounder 6-cwt (SS) Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 5-3-26 (670 lbs), (RGF No. 399, II, 1875) on the left trunnion, blank on the right trunnion, Firths Steel 4320 on the muzzle, Queen Victoria cypher on the barrel. The gun is mounted on an iron carriage, WD, R.C.D. 11872, No. 60, I, with wood 12-pounder wheels, ca. 1874-1895. This gun stands facing the Halifax Citadel. Another 9-pounder 6-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle preserved in Canada, RGF No. unknown, is on display in the Royal Canadian Artillery Museum, CFB Shilo, Manitoba and a third is in display at the war memorial in Shelburne, Nova Scotia, RGF No. unknown. These 9-pounder 6-cwt guns were probably left behind when the British left Halifax in 1905. All other 9-pounder Muzzleloading Rifles in Canada are 8-cwt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They both appear to have the Navy's version of cascabel (the knob on the back end of the barrel), which means they were made as Sea Service cannons, not Land Service.

Vic-cannon123, I see that's you first T-Net post, so, welcome to TreasureNet and the What Is It? forum, the best place on the internet to get unknown objects CORRECTLY identified. :)

You didn't say where you live. That information might help us figure out how those two cannons came to be at your house.

Also, if you wouldn't mind the effort, please measure the cannon bore's diameter, as closely as possible (millimeters and 1/8th-inch), for both of your cannons, and tell us the result.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vic-cannon123

Aug 1, 2017
England
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks!

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your responses! I am in Buckinghamshire in England but the cannons could have come from anywhere as I believe they were bought by the previous owner of my house but I have no way of getting any information from him. I will get the measurements for them tonight and let you know :)

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy cow, wish i just had two cannons laying around the house.

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doubt its the same cannon, look at the back ground, the foliage
I would think the 2 images are legit
IMO
Brady

Upvote 0

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
doubt its the same cannon, look at the back ground, the foliage
I would think the 2 images are legit
IMO
Brady

Yes, but maybe the model of cannons are the same. I think the one on the left is a little wider though.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread