Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after posting a "what is it" here, and getting numerous responses, and thank you, I finally started hearing back privately by email from the guys who essentially wrote the books on Civil War insignia and such.

And the verdict is in. I dug this piece in Virginia Wednesday at a site that has produced 6 Confederate buttons (I only got 1) plus just about anything else you would want from a CW site, although no plates this year.

It reminded me of the official US Corps of Engineers insignia, model 1851 with the castle motif, but is apparently different.

So after numerous inquiries, it has been identified as the type of insignia Confederate engineering officers would wear on their kepis. These men attended various engineering schools and the insignia would have been kept from that establishment and used by an engineer. Apparently numerous different types have been found through the years but are rare enough they are almost never seen. All are consistent with CW usage, and the know examples have been found on CW sites. The Confederate army did not accept a uniform hat pin for engineers, so the officers kept heir school pins and used them as such. It's the same thought as the stars found on Texas and Mississippi sites that aren't quite standard regulation, but were worn by the troops.

So the badge is about 1" tall, stamped brass, had a brass wire pin soldered on the back and worn on a hat. That is a once in a lifetime find. Finding anything from engineering or ordnance, CSN, or the adjutant general's office is nearly impossible these days. My dad was in the 21st US Engineers in Italy and North Africa in WW2. He would have been proud. I have not cleaned it, the color changed with the background it was against.

IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2675.JPG

Upvote 62
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be hard to get more details about who made it and when precisely. It would probably take some traveling and in the land of covid, probably not a very good idea right now.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey, I have read a lot of your posts over the past few years. I can't remember you being stumped. :icon_scratch: Oh, I am sure it happens from time to time. I am gonna have to give you the "So rare it stumped Smokey" banner vote. Thanks for the write up and explanation.

TestyBestElephantbeetle-small.gif

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New best guess is it came from the Virginia based Westwood Military School. There is one of their buttons showing a (different) castle in Albert's in the back, and in Tice's book. I had one at one point, but don't have it anymore. I did not dig it. The button that is.

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a very unique CW find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*******UPDATE****** I keep "joking" how I forget stuff...I forgot I dug this. Was looking at old threads. I know where it is, at least its not temporarily lost although one of the buttons I found Tuesday is now officially "lost". Think it fell out of the pouch.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Smokey! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread