Ultra Rare Pulse Induction Detector Questions

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between my friends and the internet, I can usually out most any information I need. Here, I am a little stuck.

I picked up a Schiebel Pulse Induction MIMID (Mini Mine Detector). Many governments have been using it since the late 1990s to find "Minimum Metal Mines". These are land mines that are almost completely made of plastic. The only metal in them is a 5 centimeter piece of electric wire. This detector is tested to find that 5cm piece of wire at 19 centimeters depth.

The best parts about this detector are that it folds to 12.6" x 2.2" x 3.7", only weighs 3 pounds, and will work at a depth of up to 100 feet underwater.

mimid1.jpg MIMID2.jpg

I have already emailed Ismael in Oz and Schiebel Support, but haven't heard back yet.

Has anybody here ever used or known anybody that used one of these for prospecting? Before cracking the case, I am trying to find out of the pulse settings are adjustable. The settings that make this detector work well at finding a 5cm piece of wire 19cm underground, are not necessarily the best settings for finding small gold.

Mike

Upvote 0

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess would be that the settings were optimized for the intended purpose and fixed. It would make the unit cheaper to produce. On my Hammerhead PI, the settings are a potentiometer but I could have figured out the settings and used a resistor instead. Can you get it open without damaging the waterproofing? Maybe you don't care about that (desert hunting). I sure like the design. I'd like to see the circuit board if you open it.

I know you are a great researcher, so I'm not going to bother looking myself. I hope someone can help.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The box looks like it is probably sealed with a rubber gasket. The two halves are held together by about seventeen screws. Not too difficult to open up.

DSC05569.jpg

Mike

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that's great. I like it when they build things like that. At least you can get it apart and back together without damage. Here's to hoping that they used some small pots to adjust pulse width and delay. Those are probably the 2 most important for you. You should try it on a small picker and see how it does as it is. Since its optimized for a small copper wire, maybe its close. The coil speed is another consideration, but we can't do anything about that. That sure is a nice design. I'll bet that in todays world they sell a crapload of them.

It would be nice to compare it with other gold detectors.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be careful opening it up. Some units like Minelab have made it so you cant do much inside. Good luck with the upgrade.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mmmm, I likey what I see. :)

Please, try some gold on it.
Take a video if you can, I would like to hear and see it in action on gold, maybe a depth test? :)

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beautiful looking machine! I would be worried that it has a set notch discrimination. Otherwise, how does it find a small copper wire, without picking up every other piece of debris in an urban area?

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an email back from Schiebel, and like I figured, (for liability reasons) they won't give any help with wiring diagrams or internals. They are worried that if I change some internal settings for prospecting, then sell it to someone that will use it for mine detecting, there may be some disastrous results. HAHAHA No help unless I take their Operator / Maintainer Program. I wonder how much they want for that? If its cheap enough though, it will give me advanced maintenance info. We'll see.

I am going to go play with it on Tuesday. I am taking different size silver and gold coins. This is also the excuse I needed for gluing some different size pieces to some poker chips. I will also take a vial of natural gold. I have a nice place in the mountains with a stream, some wet and dry sand, and lots of dirt.

Here are some closeups:

IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0098.JPG

Mike

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have an adapter for the headphone port?

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the entire setup as equipped from the factory:

*Detector
*Headphone
*Field case
*Titanium (nonmagnetic) mine probe
*Manual
*Test Blocks (small blocks of epoxy with a 5cm wire embedded. Supposed to be read at up to 19cm deep).

Mike

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice.
Now get some youtube footage on that thing working for us. :D

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is under the little tabs by the "loudness" button? Is the area marked "detection" also a switch? Is it auto-tune or do you have to do something to ground balance it. I sure is a pretty machine.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is under the little tabs by the "loudness" button? Is the area marked "detection" also a switch? Is it auto-tune or do you have to do something to ground balance it. I sure is a pretty machine.

*The little tabs are the shaft locking tabs.

*If you look to the left of the word "DETECTION" you will see the LED Bar. There is one yellow LED at the bottom and seven red LEDs above it to show signal strength.

The coil is so narrow, it is easy to pinpoint with.

Nothing special to GB. If you get in highly mineralized soil, all you can do is turn down the Sensitivity. I have talked to Ismael in Oz, and may send it to him to see if he can mod it like my SD2000.

Here is the brochure:

View attachment MIMID_en.pdf

Mike

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you the best of luck with your tech. It would be very cool if you can get it working on gold. Tell him not to break it and turn it into a golf putter.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you the best of luck with your tech. It would be very cool if you can get it working on gold. Tell him not to break it and turn it into a golf putter.

Never thought of that. Add a little weight to the coil and it would make a nice putter! HAHAHA

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread