Un-grooved Ax? Its a big un

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Un-grooved Ax? It's a big un

This piece is 13" plus long, 6.5 wide and 2.5" thick . Both ends nicely beveled and the bit edge has polish.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    927.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it has a worked edge like a axe would .... Maybe it could have been an adze rather than an axe they were thinner in profile.... Btw nice buck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice one.... Wonder if they were going to put a groove on it or never intended to?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i sure see a bit of a grove in the middle...don't I?

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks like it has a worked edge like a axe would .... Maybe it could have been an adze rather than an axe they were thinner in profile.... Btw nice buck

Oh yeah, the bevel was nicely formed , and it does have use polish. An Adze bit is not straight across like a celt or ax bit though so I am sure it's not one of them.

Thanks for the kind words about the buck. We met at sunset opening day a couple months ago.

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet that Buck did not have an axe to grind. both are sweet!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting it Quito!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is huge!!! Where the heck did you add that one to the collection!!?? Looks to have been on its way to the groove........nice piece Quito,..............

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That thing is huge!!! Where the heck did you add that one to the collection!!?? Looks to have been on its way to the groove........nice piece Quito,..............

Good to see you active again gtp! This was acquired at an auction in ND saturday, and I'm really liking it. The size reminds me of some from the cache of 70 found in Illinois years ago. I saw them at the Collinsville show a few years ago.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Of all the big hardstone at that auction, that is the one that really caught my eye.

I was thinking it was a big Mano/grinding stone. You see that shape develop on manos right before they are discarded on certain types of metates, but I really think that light groove was for hafting. And the usewear/polish isn't consistent with a mano/grinder. Personally, I think you have a massive ax like tool of some type. Maybe busting/cutting ice on the river? Smashing/fracturing multiple bison bones?

Here's a pic of the manos I mentioned look like.
Picture156.jpg

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Of all the big hardstone at that auction, that is the one that really caught my eye.

I was thinking it was a big Mano/grinding stone. You see that shape develop on manos right before they are discarded on certain types of metates, but I really think that light groove was for hafting. And the usewear/polish isn't consistent with a mano/grinder. Personally, I think you have a massive ax like tool of some type. Maybe busting/cutting ice on the river? Smashing/fracturing multiple bison bones?

My thoughts as well as far as not being a mano, the bevel shows wear from forming, and not the area normally doing the grinding.....

All of those large similar pieces I have show that polish on the very ends. A couple are very thin, and I am thinking possibly hoes on them, as the bits show more hard duty type wear around the polished ends.

Remember that nice poled celt with what looked like a mortar patch? I don't know if you heard the end of that discussion, but it turned out that was an Omar that hadn't dislodged or wore out. First one of those I've ever seen.

The mano's you show remind me of one I picked up in Az a few years ago, especially the one on the left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread