Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Ace 250, CEIA CMD PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I'm new to the Forum.
Recently, I took my AT Gold with the 5x8 stock coil to the closest park where I hit really hard and cleaned out for the past 5 years. When I cam back, I raised my sens. to all the way up, thresh. up to 10, and on disc 1, I went to the hardest hit area of the park, and walked slowly, overlapping 75% of my strokes. With these settings, I was able to pick up several dimes at 11"(I brought a tape measurer) and several quarters at 12-13" all targets made a clear, unbroken sound. This absolutely amazed me, I have never dug anything so deep with any detector with this coil. It had just rained here in Southern California and the ground mineralization showed as 6 on the machine, so those 2 factors could have played in the depth. These particular settings are what I use now for hunting all parks, and I went over to some other parks that I heavily hit and was able to pick up a mason jar down at 16" filled with about 255 wheat pennies, 18 Indian head pennies, 28 mercury dimes, and 3 peace dollars. This setting will hopefully help all Garrett users hunting at parks and fields.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome Mason jar cache! Congratulations! The AT Gold has impressed me on many occasions especially at old home sites and cellar holes.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am hunting parks, the sensitivity on my AT Gold is always set to about half strength. I may be missing a lot, but that still gets me in the 6" to 10" range.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found coins down to a foot deep after a good rain with my AT Gold using this method too. Love this machine!
Nice cache find! Post a picture please. :thumbsup:

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have to get me AT Gold wow

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
Were those dimes at 11'' clad or silver?, I am sorry but I can not help to be a little skeptical. My 5 x 8 rarely hits that deep, dimes and pennies are a whisper at 6'' to 8'' to me. I know that ATPRO GOLD is suppose to go slighter deeper then the PRO but 11'' to 12'' on a 5 x 8.....really?

If that is the case you should be down to a foot and a half with the big coils....cough cough

Good find with the mason jar.....we needs pics or it did not happen.

Last edited:

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently, I took my AT Gold with the 5x8 stock coil to the closest park where I hit really hard and cleaned out for the past 5 years. When I cam back, I raised my sens. to all the way up, thresh. up to 10, and on disc 1, I went to the hardest hit area of the park, and walked slowly, overlapping 75% of my strokes. With these settings, I was able to pick up several dimes at 11"(I brought a tape measurer) and several quarters at 12-13" all targets made a clear, unbroken sound. This absolutely amazed me, I have never dug anything so deep with any detector with this coil. It had just rained here in Southern California and the ground mineralization showed as 6 on the machine, so those 2 factors could have played in the depth. These particular settings are what I use now for hunting all parks, and I went over to some other parks that I heavily hit and was able to pick up a mason jar down at 16" filled with about 255 wheat pennies, 18 Indian head pennies, 28 mercury dimes, and 3 peace dollars. This setting will hopefully help all Garrett users hunting at parks and fields.

I was not aware that on the At Gold one could employ a Threshold in Discrimination mode or that it has a Ground Mineralization meter.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I hunted my son's property which is now a field, he told me his neighbor's told him that there was a house on that property 100 years ago. I hit it with an AT PRO and a 5x8 coil I can't tell you what my settings where; I change them as the soil and trash dictates, but I will tell you I pulled Indian Head pennies out at 8-9 inches and a larger belt buckle at 11 inches. The ground was wet, which allowed the machine to go deeper, so I DO believe the depth at which it was claimed he dug here.

A few years back I had a strong signal, the Pin-Pointer was silent when I put it in the hole so I kept digging thinking I was nuts or just had a hot rock. But still no beep on the Pro-Pointer but the Pro was screaming when I swung over the hole, kept digging. Finally at around 11" I pulled a sterling silver diamond ring out of that hole covered in mud. I would have missed it if it wasn't for the pro-pointer because I never saw it in the pile of mud, but it was there. My friend, who is a jeweler claimed it was from the late 1800 or early 1900 which he determined by the cut of the stone. I should add the stone was of poor quality but my wife still loves it. LOL!

I do honestly believe under the right conditions these machines can get down in the ground deep, I have seen it first hand.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right, you can't get that in dry ground with the 5 x 8 DD, but coins at 12+ inches in damp sand (All Metal mode) I can attest to. At those depths the ID does not work, just have to listen for a blip over all the crackling. I run the threshold into the negative numbers just enough so I can still hear the targets and it makes little difference in depth on good targets. On uneven surfaces like sand I use a little Ground Balance Window to smooth out the threshold (AMM only), but not too much as that will affect depth, but the idea is to get the best possible response. Also I like to manual ground balance in sand, bury a test target then adjust to it. So don't be afraid to use the controls. The Ground Balance Window is the one you have to be careful with. I try to keep sensitivity high, but even that can be lowered without too much depth loss ON GOOD TARGETS.

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looking forward to the pictures!

OP
OP
rexy

rexy

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, the 6 on ground balance was not a GB indicator, it was what the GB was set on when I ground grabbed the detector before I hunted. The soil in this specific area is very clean and is very non-ferrous. The dimes I detected at 11 inches were clad. Today I went back, buried some dimes at 10" to a foot deep, the AT Gold could not pick any of them up. I left the dimes there to see if over time, the air will escape from the plugs I dug and I should repeat the same results. I went detecting at another park today, and got the same results. I have heard however that when the battery is low, the AT Gold loses lots of depth and power. I did repeat an experiment with a full battery and half full battery, and the difference was 3 inches on a dime. 7 inches with the half bar battery and 10-12 inches with the full battery. I also compared the NiMH, and Alkaline battery and the NiMH increases the depth by 1/2 of an inch. Also, I always hunt with 0 GB window unless prospecting and I did the same on that specific day. I went hunting today and took another picture of a clad quarter in dry ground at 14 inches!!!! (ALL-Metal Mode) :-)

Last edited:

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad to see the pics and all, but it appears a member here found the exact same coins in 2011, but they got them from a bank teller it appears.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/276289-2011-wheat-penny-motherload.html

Also some may notice that the coins in the jar are shinier then the pile, and identical to theses coins buried by someone at dankowskidetectors.com

How deep should I bury the coin cache

You could have at least taken a picture of your own measuring tape, and not lifted the image from "rafitalia.com" lol

distribuzione noleggio georadar metal detector nuovi e usati

..and some people wonder why I give ATPro owners a hard time lol. It's a glorified Ace 250 in a water resistant box.

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol Good times.

Anyhow I feel a little bad about my "Glorified ace 250" comment.", it was a little harsh. No offense to the other ATPro operators, I was just having some fun.

OP
OP
rexy

rexy

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I compared the depth of the atpro and atgold with tip top settings and the5x 8 inch coil and I found that the AT gold gained 1/2 inch in disc 1 and a full inch with the true all metal mode. I also tried testing it against it with a friend's GTI and the GTI gained 1/2 inch in tip top settings over the AT Gold in tip top settings. I also tried testing the depth in different soils and found that the AT Gold lost 4 inches in the hottest ground I know. 87 was the Ground balance set and a dime buried at 8 inches in hot red clay.

I also compared the depth with the lid of a mason jar on all 3 detectors with all having the 5x8 inch coil and the at pro detected it at 22 inches, the AT Gold at 24 inches, and the GTI at 26 inches all in the highest settings.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the OP has been proven to be posting false finds and then removes his false pics from his post. Liars and cheats are the lowest form of person, so one more to add to my ignore list. Congrats for catching the lie Pennypacker!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
pennyp .. nice work finding another one of the great finds to be false :thumbsup: .. I think there are to many like that posted ..

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the OP has been proven to be posting false finds and then removes his false pics from his post. Liars and cheats are the lowest form of person, so one more to add to my ignore list. Congrats for catching the lie Pennypacker!

I have to admit I believed the first post, because it agreed with my AT Gold experiences.
The proper response is for the Moderator to ban the user, as JEFF OF PA did when I used google image search to prove a post about finding a cave was bogus. I cant find the thread, but the message from Jeff was July 28th 2013.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it is amazing to me that someone would pretend just to get pretend attention.no hugs from mom I guess.good catch penny.future credibility around here....none

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread