UNBELIEVABLE FINDS OF A LIFETIME! 1728 SPANISH SILVER & 1722 FRENCH COPPER!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got out today down in good old Philadelphia with George. Started out at a 1700s riverfront home hes hit before, I didn't do to hot there but George made a couple of good finds there, I managed a flat button of sorts and the oil lamp part with the wick still attached , I cant quite make out the patent date. 20150623_202453.jpg After that we tried door knocking and let me tell you how very very old and beautiful these homes were. Tried to get permission at 2 different places before George decided to take me to the site of his 8 reale from a few weeks ago. George wanted me to try his CTX3030 all day and see what I thought, I gotta say im impressed with it, its pretty fast compared to my etrac, similar operations/tones/VDI's, etc though. So we get geared up and went down by the pond, within 10 minutes I got a LOUD AND CLEAR 10-41-ish tone, it was 10 40 something, still a blur, I kinda lost focus for a bit when I popped the plug and saw that familiar glimmer of silver, and upon closer inspection I see SPANISH!!!, I carry it over to George, shaking, near puking, lightheaded etc etc etc, and wiped the dirt off it in front of him to reveal the most beautiful coin I have ever dug, the oldest coin I have ever dug, Three hard fought years of wishing/hoping/dreaming brought me to this point, :headbang: 1728 SPANISH SILVER! :headbang: I cant believe it still!! big reale.jpg Untitledsdf.png Untitled.png George was nice enough to get in touch with Bill D and he identified it as a Spanish pistareen. I was so pumped to get this, George gave me a hard time a bit because of HIS machine on HIS site but it was all in good fun lol! I cant believe it was only 5 inches down, I could've easily got that with my etrac!, ok anyway after that I had a hard time focusing, I was haphazardly detecting around until I sat, focused, and slowed down, managed a few more decent finds such as the 1889 IH, and a Silver Roosie, and a fired musketball. we had to leave shortly after that but I was in the mood for a little more so I headed to the school from 2 weeks ago and very first signal was this Mystery copper, 20150623_204940.jpg 20150623_174556.jpg 20150623_202610.jpg I think I see FRAN___ something on the 2nd line of the one side of it. 20150623_202610.jpg its slightly larger than a US quarter, I got 6 wheats after that and left because the sky opened up on me. 20150623_202403.jpg 20150623_204924.jpg I don't know if I can ever top this day, likely not and im OK with that, today was by far the greatest detecting day I have ever had, thank you George!!! super awesome of you to share such a killer site with me, hope I can repay you someday

thanks for looking and hh!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 65
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY S...T ! Totally awesome find:occasion14: you're a better man than me,I wouldn't have been able to concentrate at all:hello2: What a Great coin in Great shape:headbang: I probably would have been too wired to sleep at all,keep killing it out there:notworthy:

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Crap! What an ABSOLUTELY beautiful coin! WOW! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: When your hot, your hot!!!! Outstanding finds!:occasion14:

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a gorgeous silver coin, the old copper is pretty sweet too. Great job.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY S...T ! Totally awesome find:occasion14: you're a better man than me,I wouldn't have been able to concentrate at all:hello2: What a Great coin in Great shape:headbang: I probably would have been too wired to sleep at all,keep killing it out there:notworthy:
LOL thanks creade, I was wired as all hell, I didn't fall asleep til 1am, up at 6 lol!!, thanks for the comment!!

Holy Crap! What an ABSOLUTELY beautiful coin! WOW! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: When your hot, your hot!!!! Outstanding finds!:occasion14:
Thanks a lot randy, it certainly was hot out lol

Congrats on a gorgeous silver coin, the old copper is pretty sweet too. Great job.
Thank you gaela, I had no idea such a random day would lead to my two oldest coins ever!, weird how this hobby works!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!!!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The very first thing I noticed when I saw the video and where you dug that silver the that is was under the downed tree. I figure you were destined to find it as George is too old to bend over and get under the tree!!! Congratulations on two stellar coins. Just amazing finds!! And you're right, you owe George BIG TIME for taking you to a spot like that.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very first thing I noticed when I saw the video and where you dug that silver the that is was under the downed tree. I figure you were destined to find it as George is too old to bend over and get under the tree!!! Congratulations on two stellar coins. Just amazing finds!! And you're right, you owe George BIG TIME for taking you to a spot like that.

Ya know, normally I'd just pass that spot by because it was in a tight spot, something told me to crouch down and try it out because of how close it was to the shoreline of the pond, I pictured someone taking their stuff out of their pockets for a swim, and BAM screaming signal!, I kinda went right for the water when we got there, george headed for some trees, we both made out well, it was a killer hunt, now the tough part is finding a spot anywhere near me that can live up to his standards, sadly the history he has just isn't near me.........sigh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, a whole 1 reale pistareen! That's a great find and one that's on my most wanted list. That George seems like a really nice guy!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, a whole 1 reale pistareen! That's a great find and one that's on my most wanted list. That George seems like a really nice guy!

Thanks joey!, if I don't find another good coin all year, I think I'll be just fine, well ok maybe not but man the high from this is gonna take a while to wear off, that george is a good dude, I think he gets as much thrill watching others make good finds as he does making them. I've been very fortunate in the 3 yrs I've been doing this to get alot of stuff on many people's bucket lists

Thanks again!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There just ain't nothing like uncovering one of those lifetime dream coins! So glad to see you get yours!

Congrats!! A WONDERFUL save!!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day you find Spanish Silver is a good one !
I remember my first one, a 2R and even caught it on "live" video as it popped out of the clump of dirt.
Find of a lifetime...I think so, but not for the Spanish, the French copper of 1721-22 IMO is the find of a lifetime, and here is why I think so. Only 8,000 stayed in the colonies, most of the issue was returned to France.

The last one I recall seeing posted was BuckleBoy about three years ago, consider where he lives you might expect to maybe find one there. anyway BuckleBoy, Bill D., Steve of PA, to name a couple all have found lots of Spanish, but only one, other than yours has showed up for that French Copper, in at least three years. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it's rarity.

Anyway you did have a great day in the dirt.

PS again that copper is more rare than a CS plate or 8 Reale, at least to dig, and "IT" is the find of the day. You will find more Spanish I can almost guarantee it, but another 9 deniers...not bloddy likely. If you were lucky enough to get just a bit more condition on it it would be banner...and maybe it is anyway.

You should PM Buckleboy for his opinion, if you don't like / believe what I'm saying.

Rick

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Fantastic Find, I will be attending the FMDAC Hunt in Gettysburg in October 2015, so knocking on doors will be on my agenda. They don't come out of the ground any better. Thanks for sharing- goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C.

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Super cool finds, I don't think there would be any finds like here on the Northwest Coast.

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! Congrats!

PBS

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There just ain't nothing like uncovering one of those lifetime dream coins! So glad to see you get yours!

Congrats!! A WONDERFUL save!!
Thanks a lot gary, its been a rollercoaster of ups and downs this year for me, these 2 1700s coins made all the downs disappear!!!

Very very nice
thanks a lot!

Fantastic Find, I will be attending the FMDAC Hunt in Gettysburg in October 2015, so knocking on doors will be on my agenda. They don't come out of the ground any better. Thanks for sharing- goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C.
hey good luck when you go and thanks for the comment!

Awesome find! Congrats!

PBS
thank you so much, glad everyone is enjoying this post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread