Unbelievable: Once in a lifetime bucket-lister in a roll of dimes. No metal detector required.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Continuing from my prior post, I was in SE Florida for the last week or so. On 2/21, I went to a few banks and got nickels and dimes. One of the banks handed me $50 in CWR (all the CWR they had). This was one of the rolls. Can see some silvers and there were impaired proofs as well.

roll with proofs-silver-3c 2-21a.jpg
roll with proofs-silver-3c 2-21b.jpg

The worn silver I thought could be a merc or even a barber, but that was not the case. To my surprise, it was a nickel 3c piece from 1865. I literally jumped out of my seat. Never imagined that I would find one of these. To find a coin from CRH that is literally from the end of the civil war when Lincoln was president just blows my mind. I figured that I would need a metal detector to find one of these coins as others have found on t-net.

The roll had 2 FDR silvers and the 3c piece.

roll with proofs-silver-3c 2-21c.jpg
3c piece.jpg

silvers-3c 2-21.jpg

The proofs are below (the nickel was found on 2/16 and not 2/21). One of the other dime rolls had the rest of the proofs compared with the picture above.

proofs 2-21a.jpg
proofs 2-21b.jpg

Thanks for looking and HH

Upvote 25

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Continuing from my prior post, I was in SE Florida for the last week or so. On 2/21, I went to a few banks and got nickels and dimes. One of the banks handed me $50 in CWR (all the CWR they had). This was one of the rolls. Can see some silvers and there were impaired proofs as well.

View attachment 2132988 View attachment 2132989

The worn silver I thought could be a merc or even a barber, but that was not the case. To my surprise, it was a nickel 3c piece from 1865. I literally jumped out of my seat. Never imagined that I would find one of these. To find a coin from CRH that is literally from the end of the civil war when Lincoln was president just blows my mind. I figured that I would need a metal detector to find one of these coins as others have found on t-net.

The roll had 2 FDR silvers and the 3c piece.

View attachment 2132990 View attachment 2132991

View attachment 2132992

The proofs are below (the nickel was found on 2/16 and not 2/21). One of the other dime rolls had the rest of the proofs compared with the picture above.

View attachment 2132993 View attachment 2132994

Thanks for looking and HH
Wow, I think I'll start sorting dimes...mix things up alittle

Big congratulations!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Dimes are pretty good to search. Small enough so that in many cases people don't realize they have a silver one.
I get a good amount of pre 1959 Jefferson nickels and pretty consistent getting a buffalo or war nickel...dimes are much lighter though...a box of nickels are pretty heavy. :). I think I'll be trying dimes to mix things up...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going :) Thanks for posting :) I never looked for dimes in CR's

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The times I've looked I was rarely successful at finding silver...but I think I'll try a couple more times...
Well I WISH YOU THE BEST of LUCK !!!!!
Please keep us posted :)

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
cool find, am i remembering this right did someone on this site find a gold coin that was use for fuller in a coin roll,this was years ago and am old??

CRHer700

Feb 6, 2024
Florida
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a great find, I’ll bet that is the oldest coin that you’ve ever found.

Reactions: CJ9
OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a great find, I’ll bet that is the oldest coin that you’ve ever found.
Thanks
Actually tied for the oldest coin. In the summer of 2022, I found the 2c piece in a Coinstar machine dated 1865. There is a post on it here on t-net.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Most of the coolest coins I've found were actually in cash drawers. I found about 10 steel pennies once in a cash drawer, if you sort through the coinage you can often find some oldies

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find. Congratulations! Bet it was a real surprise. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: CJ9

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimes.jpg

I'm jealous! This was my best dime find. (Just kidding! :laughing7:)

So, you've found a two-center and a three-center. Is the 20-center next? Congrats!

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the coolest coins I've found were actually in cash drawers. I found about 10 steel pennies once in a cash drawer, if you sort through the coinage you can often find some oldies
I have found steel pennies in rolls of dimes a number of times over the years

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread