Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a rope!

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
SHOOT to KILL....ask questions later........a thief is a thief and they should be dealt with accordingly....Don't let me catch you.....dead man walking.....if I don't get you.....GOD WILL. RIP

db

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad they were caught, now "John Law" should at the very least bull whip um so they wont even think about doing it again!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you see......... They were coming down that "Rugged Canyon" in the dark. We observed them through the starlight goggles trip and fall on their rock picks numerous times as they tumbled down the canyon. By the time the officer & I got to them (had to stop to pee after we had a couple cups of coffee) they had expired. BTW the detector & other equipment appears to be lost. Turned it all in to the cops & after 90 days it's mine!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Claim jumping is wrong...

Having said that, these guys win the stupid criminal award.

Some cop, the other side of a canyon is calling you on a loud speaker to come to him so he can take you to jail. It's obvious the cop is not walking to you.

...and you actually hike out to him ~ DOH!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claim-jumping is definitely wrong, wrong, wrong.

But, hate to say it - a good number of people, even here, have claim-jumped.

And, they don't think anything of it - they don't think of it as claim-jumping.

How many times have you seen here, and on other sites, someone "stopping for a little while to play" at some abandoned mines, or alongside the roads. A good number of times - you are where you are not supposed to be.

Desert hunters, I think, are the worst offenders. First - its easy in the desert to get turned around, or not know exactly where you are. Second, claim markers are quite often knocked down by those out playing - with trucks and atv and bikes.
Third, in a place like the desert - very few claim owners mine during the summer - they reserve it for the winter months, so, what looks abandoned, just may not be. And, fourth, people don't do their homework - and find out if it is claimed - or figure, heck, its just for an hour or two - or, fifth - they just don't think about it - they think - hey, I'm on public land, I can md, or pan, or drywash, or whatever.

B

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely right and I can not agree with you more Mrs O.These guys however knew,they were in there at night,had been hitting it repeatedly and one ran(and got away)when alerted to "Halt"(kind of shows your guilt!)

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand, Kuger. I'm just making a distinction between "claimjumping" and "CLAIM-JUMPING", and hoping that the entire spectrum of claim-jumping is thought about - before it turns ugly.

B

P

pippinwhitepaws

"claim jumping" is when you go in and place your own markers over pre-existings claims, and scream theft when the true owner comes back...

what we have here is "highgrading".

and yes, theft is theft.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to respectfully disagree with that. High-grading is claim-jumping. (and theft).

I know the dictionary.com version of claim-jumper, but, in the eyes of any claim owner, when someone claim-jumps, they are trespassing - even if they don't come out with a dime of minerals. If you are searching on someone's claim for something that is not legally yours to search - you are claim-jumping.

When you "would" take mineral land that belongs to another - it is claim-jumping, and since claims are the mineral rights, with a certain portion of surface that is necessary to the operation, any digging of those minerals is a person who is seeking to take your right to that part of the land that is yours.

We have had people walk right into our adits and start digging. It's prosecutable, and not just for stealing or trespassing (honest). It's one of the very few things that have that "old west style" reactions - like stealing horses. It is assumed that, if a claim-jumper is doing prospecting, they have intent to take, if they make a discovery. (part of the 1872 mining law).

High-grading adds a whole new dimension to the issue. 27+ years I've been doing this and people STILL don't learn and it annoys the bejabbers out of me!

B

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seamuss said:
The club I belong to has claims and we make it real hard to jump our claims. A lot of us are sitting on the claims most of the summer.

There is very little claim jumping around us. We give jumpers an opportunity. Go to jail or join our club now. Your choice. We tell them cash works and the gold they found is not payment until they join or it is evidence. We also use trail cams.
Why would you want someone like that in your club?????

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tard: WE ARE JUDGED BY THE COMPANY WE KEEP--and bloody damn claimjumpn' scum ain't EVER welcome ----EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep your lousy few bucks membership fee-John :thumbsup:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
If I was that darn desperate to recruit members into my own little 'exclusive' club I think I would just admit that 'nobody loves me , everybody hates me ' and put myself out of everybody's misery .

RazorCityDen

Greenie
Jul 10, 2008
Wyoming
My oh my!

What a bunch of stone cold killers that have gathered here or maybe just a bunch of blow-hards who read too much Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey ::)

All this killing that's going to take place, hanging, military grade sniping, beatings bla-bla-bla, I'm not sure what's worst, mineral trespass or all the internet blather.

Have a nice day tough guys :tongue3:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no RazorCtyDen ---we just don't like theifs --these guys were night hawking (slipping in at night on land that they knew they were tresspassing on to steal using metal detectors )--they just didn't stunble upon this claim by accident --they plotted and planned to steal from a legal claim owner by slipping in at night and robbing fromhim by "poaching off his claim" --- no differant than a man breaking into your place of bussiness and stealing the stock you have to sell or your home to rob you of your belongings --except they do it far away in the middle of the night to avoid being caught --- theses bums are "sneak thieves" the worst kind of theif there is (and normally very hard to catch)-- since they see you in town smile in the day time and say "hi" nice day --then come and steal from you that night --

RazorCityDen

Greenie
Jul 10, 2008
Wyoming
"We" you mean all you killers who hang, horse whip, snipe and beat folks to death are a single organized entity, this is truly worst than I thought.

I'm sure your all nice folks, most weekenders are. I have to say though all this tough guy talk just rubs me wrong every time I hear it, bunch of jabber and hot air, but if it makes you feel good, who am I to interfere. I do get a chuckle out of the hobbyist that wrap themselves in the 1872 mining laws, mine "their" claim 6 times a year and whine to the point they claim they are going to start killing folks who wander across it on one of the 359 days they are working their day job.

Carry on and hopefully you never cross paths with the kind of folks you claim to be, you wouldn't like it much and would probably take up golf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread