Understanding the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya but genuinely sourced by me, and authentic !! No lies in my coa, and an original black bart piece with COA !! Ill make it really fancy....ya know with gold leaf and killer ghost graphics.

So a you want to buy this black bart beauty !! I can have it mounted in gold for ya ... keep that dug patina on there !! Ooooo baby she's a beauty !!😁😆😅🤣😂🤣
OK OK ! ! !
I will pay triple !

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 20 $ this way I can be like the pros and loose the investors capital.....well pay 50 $ to get the COAs going, and then pay for the xrf analysis, and virtually assure we will lose money 💰 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Winner
Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make your own COA, and I know a beach hunter who does for his finds. The salvor who recovers the treasure usally makes a COA, to verify the find. The COA by nature is a descriptive document that states the facts about the find. When it was found and how, and usally a brief description of the shipwreck and history of the piece in question. It will list the salvage company and its signed by owner or officials that are part of the operation. In the case of a beach hunter it's the same, only there is no official company....just the salvage is listed. Template forms can be found, and some really fancy certificates can be made. Now also remember this......a COA , is also a great document for the IRS to find a paper trail when it come to enforcing tax collection.....no receipts but you sold the coin with a COA stating all the details, and documenting a transaction, so could probably be used in a tax case against the salvor as a record of transaction.

It is all very shady if you ask me, and I know salvors at this very moment that use blank COAs that have been pre signed by salvors. I was just recently offered a blank COA that was signed by Jack haskins. I was told we would fill out all the details and leave the date of recovery blank !! I won't name names, but I was shocked......it would be totally false, and would give credit for my coins recovery to jack haskins !! I love jack, may he rest in piece, and to see a stack of blank COAs with his signature on them was very disheartening. He absolutely had to know what he was doing at the time....and its just disappointing. Then I realized the COA can be really important, or just B.S. on a fancy piece of paper. Why in the hell would I want to give credit to someone else for finding my treasure.....I will make my own COAs, and state that I was the salvor, and my finds were made in a legal fashion under no contract with the state, and found between the low tide mark, and the heal of the dune.....in my case there was no dune....just the road bed of US-1. I will have mine notarized also

So what I've found out in this very confusing topic is that COAs vary widely, and can be super official looking, but are often false in origin, and sometimes not factual concerning the veracity of the find. Some are very well respected, and others can be a complete lie. When I asked about why I would do that....the answer was simple.....if you want to sell 1733 treasure, then a jack haskins COA virtually assures you will get the best price, and everyone knows his name.....no one knows you yet !!🤥🤥🤥

What do you mean by "and would give credit for my coins recovery to jack haskins !"

Just because his name (or another person's name) is on the COA how does that give him credit when you are the one who found the coin?

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i specifically filmed a youtube video that gives away the location of my finds. There will be no doubt about the legality, and authenticity of my finds.....part of that documenting is right here on t-net for all to see.

I'm surprised they will let you metal detect while they are working.

Are you detecting the dirt they already dug up or the exposed dirt after they scoop out some dirt?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does this mean?

Thank you the info. Very helpful.
Slabbed is a slang term for being graded and sealed in a clear protective sleeve box type dealio.
Its called being "encapsulated"...
it is sealed with security features and information concerning the items date, origin, condition and its own identification ID #.
This number can now be traced at any time back to a database which a potential buyer can use online to verify the legitimacy of said items.

You pay money to have this done to items IF they warrant it.

What this does is put the item through the eyes of experts who now assert the items overall characteristics... and legitimacy.
This now solidifies the items true self.

BUT... grading is not always 100%... or even absolute in rare cases... and can be contested from time to time... after all mistakes can be made... and it really just boils down to a grader's opinion... it can be RESENT in for a second opinion... OR sent off to a second grading company and then compared.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slabbed is a slang term for being graded and sealed in a clear protective sleeve box type dealio.
Its called being "encapsulated"...
it is sealed with security features and information concerning the items date, origin, condition and its own identification ID #.
This number can now be traced at any time back to a database which a potential buyer can use online to verify the legitimacy of said items.

You pay money to have this done to items IF they warrant it.

What this does is put the item through the eyes of experts who now assert the items overall characteristics... and legitimacy.
This now solidifies the items true self.

BUT... grading is not always 100%... or even absolute in rare cases... and can be contested from time to time... after all mistakes can be made... and it really just boils down to a grader's opinion... it can be RESENT in for a second opinion... OR sent off to a second grading company and then compared.

I tried to find what grading means but found nothing. What does grading involve?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread