worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What good is knowledge without understand of what you know,reminds me of my old Pratt & Whitney days,some of those engineers were number than a bag of rocks! On paper it looks good,give them a screwdriver,they didn't even know what end to use. That is what is wrong with this Country, too many Intellectuals,no Common Sense. Once understanding comes,knowledge ceases.

GodBless Chris

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I know what you mean by lack of hands on ability by some engineers. I once knew an electronic theoretical physics who asked me to ex-plane how a 12V power supply worked.Hay he could build a transistor.
Ok, here's my view on the subject. Understanding is the ability to figure something out. Knowledge is what you have after you have figured something out. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean by lack of hands on ability by some engineers. I once knew an electronic theoretical physics who asked me to ex-plane how a 12V power supply worked.Hay he could build a transistor.
Ok, here's my view on the subject. Understanding is the ability to figure something out. Knowledge is what you have after you have figured something out. Frank...
View attachment 893203

Frank,

My point being,once understanding comes,why do you need knowledge of what you understand! (guess I said that right)

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of very intelligent people have learned and gained a wealth of knowledge, but haven't acquired the wisdom to understand how to use it......Gary

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It's sorta like working on your own car; "head knowledge" of OWNER'S MANUAL + ACTUALLY using that "knowledge"; UNDERSTANDING the "bits & pieces" of car "repair(s)"... my Fords & Chevies were EASY! Drive a CHEVY, now...

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of like memorizing vs. learning the concept. Some things just have to be memorized....most things can be figured out by applying the basic concept and working forward. MDs who memorize are lousy doctors. MDs who truly mastered the concept are ones that you want saving your life. Every Body is different. Memorization does not mean squat when applying to the individual patient. If something does not work then I never say to a patient "well that is how it is supposed to work." I go back to the drawing board, reapply concepts with learned data, and try again.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, Knowledge is the accumulation of understanding. Applying that knowledge is always going to vary and be limited by the individuals mental capacity.
It's like the doctor that uses his knowledge to interpret what the patient says and asks the right questions for more pertinent info to come to a decision as opposed to the doctor that just takes what the patient says and then comes to a decision based on the physicians desk reference only. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to watch Jeopardy for fun but I often wonder if the ability of recall is confused with intelligence and are the contestants able to apply their ability with creative problem solving. I still think having that sort of recall would be a great tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread