Underwater detector advice - please

projeanant

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
newbie,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like so many more before me I will soon buy and underwater detector. While going through the
various machines on offer, I realise now that I'm confused......

Every machine has good and bad points, no arguments there.

I had settled on a Sea Hunter II, but now see it could be noisy (Loud) and is likely to have
only a single tone to discern the likely material of the target.

I plan to dive to around 3m.
Enough pre-amble, 3 simple questions

Are there any UW machines on the market that offer volume control ?
Are there any UW machines on the market that provide a readout or indication
of the material type ?
Is a PI or VLF machine better suited for this task ?

Thx in advance.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excalibur has tones with a volume control, and it's a vlf machine, the tiger shark is a vlf with no tone ID but it has a volume control , the sand shark is a PI machine with single tone also but has a volume control to., the fisher CZ-21 has three tones with volume control , i think the CZ is what you what for your diving need, plus a screen doesn't do much when you can't see it in the water sometimes, GL , AC

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, if you don't know the differences between PI and VLF, you need to do a LOT more homework before asking for recomendations.
Second, you have let us know what types of targets you going to be searching for, and the type of area you intend to search.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont discount minelab and the BBS technology if they are water proof. Im looking at the Soviern GT myself.

OP
OP
P

projeanant

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
newbie,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks A/C Man, exactly what I was looking for. I will do some research on the FIsher it looks a good
machine, and the user reports look favourable.

With the singles tone machines is there an audible difference when different metal types are encountered ?

Would I be correct in saying its a trade-off between better penetration (PI) and indication of likely material
type (VLF).

PJ

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, PI punches DEEPER than any VLF machine can. There is NO machine that can tell the difference between gold and aluminum, silver, brass, or bronze. Tesoro Sand Shark is a PI machine with ALL controls on the outside of the box. It is rated to 200-feet, and is the ONLY water machine in the world with a Lifetime Warranty. No discrimination, one tone - All workhorse. Mine paid for itself in just over 50-hours. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread