jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep ? are they near shore or in open water ?

Altho there are probably easier ways,
I would Get a Winch, and pull them up one at a time.

size would depend on depth.

GOOD LUCK !

You have a Potential gold mine there, if they are old logs.

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Here are the weights of Wood - seasoned & dry kg/cu.m, yours will be saturated so multiply by 1.5 for a factor and you should be safe with the weight. (do not forget the suction effect for the mud very difficult to calculate)

You could use various methods subject to the surrounding area and permissions. Me. I would get a crane barge with a surface diving rig on it and a flat barge. Rig each log with the appropriate rated sling and lift them onto the barge. When its full get the tug to tow it away to your delivery point.

You could also get a winch or a dozer and pull them out, if the area allow it, it is chaeper but has a whole different bunch of problems.

Lots depend on how many pogs you find.

Sounds easy, but I can assure you it is not. Also as it is a commercial dive it requires you follow a set of commercial rules and have qualified commercial divers to work for you as you will come under IMCA rules (or the American equivalent).

So lets see.

BIMCO bareboat charter partys for:

Barge with crane and three or four point mooring system on it (do not use a Hydraulic crane on a barge, I snapped a 140 ton grove crane a few years ago. They are not really up to marine work.)

Flat Barge

Tug (probably time charter, or spot hire if local)

Diving rig

Minimum three qualified Divers

Fuel and Lubes,

Food and Accommodation

Yard with a Jetty rental plus a crane to move an load the logs for the eventual client.

etc etc etc.

These things often sound good but unless you are geared up for them they can eat you alive. I am not saying you cannot make good money but think carfully and do not kid yourself. When you put something is water it has a 1 in 3 chance of working and that includes the Divers ( I owned a Diving Company for many years I know)

The 3 rule also brings the to the point that if you give a diver three knives, he will lose one, brake one and steal one. (no offence to any of the commercial divers on the forum but I have vast experience of this)

seasoned & dry kg/cu.m

Afromosia 705
Apple 660 - 830
Ash, black 540
Ash, white 670
Aspen 420
Balsa 170
Bamboo 300 - 400
Birch (British) 670
Cedar, red 380
Cypress 510
Douglas Fir 530