Underwater Scooters, what brand and model do you use?

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
Torpedo,good machine.GREAT aftermarket service.It takes some getting used to w/the mag reed switch.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seadoo scooters are pretty much kids toys for pool use only and dont last long in the ocean.I have 2 tekna DV-3X's,both were bought for cheap,both were flooded due to neglect of the houseing O ring before i got them.I have also owned several Farallon DPV's plus have built 20 of the kent markham scubatow dual motor DPV's.Also have built 5 of the kent markham scubatow (torpedo) models.I did a deal with byrd industries,they made high quality 15-40 lb thrust trolling motors to buy in large quanities.they are now out of biz,but trolling motors can be had almost anywhere with thrust ratings up to 80 lbs or more now.The torpedo responded just like the farallon and looked pretty close to it.It was alot easyer to build since its made of mostly aluminum.The scubatow dual is all wood.It worked ok too,but with the prop blades exposed,they would hit your knees when you came to a stop.I use 100 amp hour gel cell alarm batteries in all my DPV's.They will last longer then you can dive.My 2 teckna's run for 4 hours on 1 charge.If you want to build the 2 scubatow models,heres a link to the site that sells the plans.I still have my plans,but they are really ragged out.The scubatows are easy to build.Cost now would run around $150-$200 to put one together.Pretty cheap compared to the factory models.Kent markham also made 2 subs,I helped a friend build the silent runner.It was a pain to launch at a boat ramp.But alot of fun once we got it in deep water.Kents plans were featured in the popular science mag back in the 70's.I talked to him a few times when i built the DPV's.I guess hes still living,but he must be a very old man now,still living in Jax florida.The DPV's can be mass produced if you can find a good supply of the trolling motors.The aluminum tube can be bought in 20 foot lengths.

http://www.scubatow.com/ScubaTow.php

Attachments

• teknatwins.jpg
    teknatwins.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,036
  • teknatwins.jpg
    teknatwins.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 378

maximushisp

Feb 4, 2005
Hello Fisheye,
I have an Apollo AV-1, it looks like similar that the Tekna's, My Apollo have a 12V battery of 24 Amp.
I am interested to increase the working time of the Scooter.
Do you know if the 100 Amp. batteries that you use with the Tekna's could function with the Apollo?
The Charger that I have to the 24 Amp. could be charge the 100 Amp. battery?
any recomendation with a manufacturer?
Thanks.

Maximushisp

Attachments

• ApolloAV-1.jpg
    ApolloAV-1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,581

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread