Underwater tips? Esp. re: PI Pro

digger89

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2005
South Florida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; PI PRO
Getting ready to head underwater with my PI Pro for the first time this weekend.
Anybody have advice on adjustments you've made that make it easier to handle?
E.g. thought about doing these things...
(1) remove the "brains" box from the shaft and strap to self to decrease bouyancy of the detector?
(2) add weight to the coil, for the same reason? (I have the unweighted version - easier to swing on the beach)
(3) shorten up shaft for more maneuverability?
I'd appreciate any input from experience, and will of course post what I learned here.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I had the surfmaster PI which is the precursor to the PI pro. I bought it in '96 and used it on the beach and SCUBA until last year when I sold it.

White's makes a diving shaft which i would recommend for diving. The longer shaft is a bit unweildly underwater. If you get the short shaft, leave the control box right on the shaft. I screwed an eye hook through the back of the detector so I could attach it to the D-Rings on by BC. I found that was a little safer than having 2 sets of cords to get wrapped up in.

I also had the unweighed coil... I've used both and didn't find any significant difference. It was still easy to keep the coil on the ground... it just wasn't as heavy walking back to the car. if you do want to weight the coil, fill a small bag with sand and zip-tie it to the shaft just above the coil (make sure it doesn't have metal in it ;D )

be prepared to dig deep (and junk depending on your conditions). It's a pi machine so there is no discrimination. Some other issues you'll deal with are how to search, and moving material/visibility. They depend on the site conditions and what you're looking for

a small scoop works well for the digging/sifting. if there is a little current, it helps sweep the sand/silt away so you can see.

searching... you can use lots of different methods, depending on what you're looking for, and bottom conditions. I always liked circle searches for open areas. Drop a weight, or plant a spike in the ground, and hook a line to it... then swim in a circle, detecting as you go. when you make one revolution... move out a few feet and start again... repeat as necessary.

good luck
steve

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve is a diver and gave good suggestions. You never want to attach the control box to your body in case you need to assend quickly, it could get caught on something. A ping pong paddle is nice for faning the sand away. If in a freshwater lake I've used a Garrett Classifier pan to push it into the muck to recover the item. Attach it to a short length of cord with a weight so you can let go of it and it won't float to the surface. Being plastic, you can check it with the detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread