sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working in the shop one morning after a rainy night, and saw a big dog trot by the window. I stepped outside to see what was going on. It was a mama dog who took the hell off, leaving this little fella just sitting there. I already have a dog at the shop, so I told him "You need to head on with Mama." Well, he just sat there as you can see. I texted this picture to my son with the message, "What the hell am I supposed to do?" I had a job I had to take off and go do, and he kept following me around under my feet. I was afraid that I'd run over him if I drove off, so I scooped him up and put him in the pen with my black lab with the purple splotched tongue who raises hell if anybody passes within eyesight. It was like, "Oh, goodie! Somebody to play with while you're gone!" and I headed to work. In the meantime, my son texted that picture to his girlfriend 20 miles away and that was it. I think that dog is her world. He's grown now with the goofiest-looking prominent underbite, but he's a fine dog. I have to wonder what would've become of him if our paths hadn't crossed that day. Practically every animal I've had has been a rescue or giveaway. You really changed that dog's life for the good, Cactus.

otis.jpg otis1.jpg otis2.jpg

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That made me cry...I'd love to do the same thing to the people who did that to him.

You Are An Amazing Guy to step up and do the Right Thing!

I Hope This Gets An Honorable Mention Here! Returning things are great...Saving a Life is Heroic!

All Of My Respect To You Cactus!

Kace

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of doing any metal detecting today I did my other hobby and went for a motorcycle ride, off road instead of on.

As I was riding down a random dirt road, about a mile from anything I found a dog, shivering and so weak it could barely stand. Right off it was clear that it had been badly abused and just dumped in the desert.

I called my wife and she put out a post on a local Facebook group, and I rode to the fire department, and they couldn't help, and said that animal control wouldn't be open until Monday.

I knew the dog couldn't last that long, but thankfully three ladies read the post and with the help of some basic directions they were able to find the dog and myself, as I rode back out to check on it, and all four of us got it fed, watered, standing on its own. I found part of a tie-down and ran a loop back through the metal hook to make a leash, and one of the ladies got the dog into her side-by-side and took it home.

It may not be a metal detecting find, but at least that dog now has a very good chance for survival and hopefully, a loving home.

BTW: My tomcat is a rescue; he was dumped after the housing market collapsed and I took him in, and he along with one other cat lead happy (spoiled) lives with my wife and me.

View attachment 1661083

You, my friend are a ABSOLUTE LEGEND! :headbang::headbang:

Seriously...well done...i'd buy you a pint and a pat on the back.:occasion14::icon_salut:

I love animals and if i caught the person who treated it bad, I would ,find it hard...VERY hard not to kick a hole in them! :angry9::angry4::BangHead::BangHead:

Take my hat off to you...well done dude!

Matt

Last edited:

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job, I keep a spare long leash in the trunk of the car and the top box of my bike just in case it's ever needed.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cactus, I hope the lady that took the pup home will give you updates to pass along to us as it is nursed back to health. I'd love to see pictures of a happy, healthy dog in a loving home. Thanks again for your time and effort on this.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Cactus...u da man! We live in the country, but just 5 miles from city limits, and if I had a silver dime for every cat/dog that's turned up at the door or sitting in the middle of the road while driving home, I could quit detecting. We've taken in, nursed, adopted and gave away probably close to 2 dozen animals that were dropped out here. Most have collars and show signs of neglect or abuse. We've spent a lot of dollars at the vet, and not on our own pets. I was told once that we would be judged by the way we treat animals. That poor animal you rescued does look to be at death's door. KUDOS to you and those girls that intervened. Ddf.

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Years ago I had something digging in my garden. It was exposing the tomato roots so it had to go. I set a couple traps just outside the garden and the next day I had two dogs. One was dead and the other which was almost as bad off was so bad that I just gave him the gift of a round to the head. No way I could have saved him. two full size labs except that I could pick both up with one hand. Never found out who had mistreated them so badly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread