Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today and worked a new cellar. Got all the normal stuff i usually get like ox shoe to square nails to spoons but this find made my day. I saw the top show first and I knew it was the top to a salt shaker but then i saw there wasnt any holes. i could see white glass rim where i pulled the top out and carefully dug it out and it turned out to be this big pipe bowl....I dont know the first thing about pipes so have no idea to its age but I love it! Was a great day!
pipe bowl.jpg

Upvote 15

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Bob! I'm no pipe expert either but that's definitely one I've never seen...very ornate...ddf

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very very nice find!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, I love those kind of finds!

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today and worked a new cellar. Got all the normal stuff i usually get like ox shoe to square nails to spoons but this find made my day. I saw the top show first and I knew it was the top to a salt shaker but then i saw there wasnt any holes. i could see white glass rim where i pulled the top out and carefully dug it out and it turned out to be this big pipe bowl....I dont know the first thing about pipes so have no idea to its age but I love it! Was a great day!
View attachment 1370471

Made out of glass that baby would burn hotter than hell !!! It would have had a long stem in an effort to temper the smoke temperature down. Clay tavern pipes also burned very hot. Most pipe smokers would consider them barely if not unsmokable. Good smoking pipes are made of Briar wood, Meerschaum or the lowly corn cob. Good corn cobs are very fine smoking and my favorites to smoke from. The owner of your pipe probably burned his lungs and lips on it and threw it away. Some pipes were made more ornamental rather then functional and yours is more ornamental rather than an everyday smoking pipe. As far as dating I can't be sure and would have to have it in hand. Look for mold seams on the glass. Is the cap solid brass or plated with brass or brass plated with gold ? I'm guessing more modern then one would think. The plant on the front appears to be Scotch Thistle which is a Scottish symbol.

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is BAD A$$!!!!!!! CONGRATZ....

OP
OP
Bob207

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I have cleaned it up a little and took some better pics. I believe it is porcelain and the flowers were pink and green and the leaves have gold veins in them. They cap is very fragile and all i did to it was rub a small spot with my thumb and think its silver plated. There is no visable seam on it but where its broken the material seems really porus which made me think porcelain. I could be wrong as I said earlier I dont know anything about this kind of stuff. Heres some better pics. Thanks for looking!
bowl2.jpg
bowl3.jpg
break.jpg
pipe top.jpg

OP
OP
Bob207

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also....whats the purpose of the little knob thing just above the break?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread