Unexpected find at 1940s silver school-a 1st for me!

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Minelab X-terra 705 dual pack
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all!
Went detecting at my favorite school that I've now pulled 21 silver and around 150 wheats out of, and got my oldest coin yet, and a first for me-a 1838 large cent! I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure i was digging up a silver quarter, it sounded so good hitting 15-46 to 17-46 on my etrac 8" down...i was much happier seeing this! Question for you all- I've read that some of you soak your old coppers in olive oil. How long do you soak it for? Do you just rinse it after soaking it? What exactly does this do? Thanks all for reading, happy hunting!
TMac

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130729_175736.png
    ForumRunner_20130729_175736.png
    143 KB · Views: 182
  • ForumRunner_20130729_175746.png
    ForumRunner_20130729_175746.png
    126 KB · Views: 167
  • ForumRunner_20130729_175851.png
    ForumRunner_20130729_175851.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Upvote 14

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks

so many diggers are so keen on 'cleaning' the old away from their finds, I like the old patinas and am a fan of the look of age from the soil

stay green and never clean haha!

My new motto

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find. I'd love to dig one of those.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new motto

I gotta say that when I saw your coin initially, I said there's nothing to improve!
I liked it just as it was but, figured if you were going to clean, well, to try and slow you down.

It can be quite surprising just how quickly a coin can go from nice to crap! Even with the simplest methods!

But, with that said, there are cases where a coin can be greatly improved. With a proper technique.
The trick is experience. One starts to recognize which are good candidates and which are not. If I got to have a default, it would be to not clean.
Only when I see something that has great potential and solid construction of the patina, will I consider trying to improve.

At least you can still see your detail. Put it up for display and check back in about a year, I bet that one will improve just sitting there. :)

HH!

OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta say that when I saw your coin initially, I said there's nothing to improve!
I liked it just as it was but, figured if you were going to clean, well, to try and slow you down.

It can be quite surprising just how quickly a coin can go from nice to crap! Even with the simplest methods!

But, with that said, there are cases where a coin can be greatly improved. With a proper technique.
The trick is experience. One starts to recognize which are good candidates and which are not. If I got to have a default, it would be to not clean.
Only when I see something that has great potential and solid construction of the patina, will I consider trying to improve.

At least you can still see your detail. Put it up for display and check back in about a year, I bet that one will improve just sitting there. :)

HH!

Awesome advice that i really appreciate..i wish i had asked before i dropped it in the olive oil..but live and learn..I'm still syched to be it's custodian and would be even if it had no detail...so in the end it was a pretty cheap but valuable lesson

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still has some nice patina left on it, id say leave er be and do no more, but from your posts it sounds like you already know that.:thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread