Unexpected Silver

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone!

The days are getting short here. Sun sets around 5 pm. I really needed to rake some leaves in the front yard so I did that after work today. The landlord had a big cedar tree removed over the weekend clearing up 20 square feet of yard I couldn't access when detecting this summer.

I strapped on the headlamp and my first hit was this Mercury dime! I could barely identify it because the front is tarnished so badly from the acidity of the cedar tree over the years.

That was it after a short 30 minute hunt but I am a happy man.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510106805.258781.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510106895.929953.jpg

Date is a 1942-S.

Luck in the hunt all!
-Washingtonian

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done sir! That little rascal has been hiding by the cedar tree, just waiting for you to find her.

Congrats.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Merc! Funny thing, last weekend..I grew a sack and got a permission I've been driving past EVERY DAY for 2 years...it wasn't too hard, she was out at the end of the driveway so i just rolled up, lowered the passenger window and asked...NO PROBLEM!! ANYTIME!!...Sheesh, that easy! But anyway, I gear up, ground balance and got a big iron grunt...next signal-82 83...pow! Merc! Then just plain farm junk for the next 90 minutes...some decent relics I've yet to knock the mud off of...but I thought I was going to kill it after popping that Merc in less than 3 minutes. Was my first time there I'll be back to dig another...Ddf

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congrats on your Merc! Funny thing, last weekend..I grew a sack and got a permission I've been driving past EVERY DAY for 2 years...it wasn't too hard, she was out at the end of the driveway so i just rolled up, lowered the passenger window and asked...NO PROBLEM!! ANYTIME!!...Sheesh, that easy! But anyway, I gear up, ground balance and got a big iron grunt...next signal-82 83...pow! Merc! Then just plain farm junk for the next 90 minutes...some decent relics I've yet to knock the mud off of...but I thought I was going to kill it after popping that Merc in less than 3 minutes. Was my first time there I'll be back to dig another...Ddf

Dang, sometimes that's just the way it is I suppose! I'm always happy with even a single decent find. I would've been happy with a wheat honestly, my expectations were low. Good luck out there!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The merc is much more fun than just a wheat. Grats to ya and good luck next time out.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver a little baking soda and water paste will take of that tarnish ...:occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just love the old Mercury dimes! Congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread