2.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6959.jpeg
    IMG_6959.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 60

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one, no one could be 100 either way on that from pics. I’m sure it’s obvious in hand but you seem to have stumped the naysayers. Some places are just a little different.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I am not seeing any flaking or knapping on that stone either.

To be shaped into a preform or tool to be utilized by native Americans, some work would have to have been done to the stone other than nature wear. Its these marks which would indicate, or lack thereof, if the stone has or has not been used by native Americans.

This stone lacks these marks, which would indicate that the shaping of this rock has occurred over millennia due to natural fracturing and then erosion and wear from the elements.

Keep looking, Kansas City Missouri is a good area. My grandkids live in the area, and I see a plethora of locations to check out.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I see why you mentioned the potential for it being hafted. It does have the appearance of a “tang”.
What is the background rock? Is that a vein above ground? Looks massive.

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
I found it a couple days back in one of the ravines here on our farm. It's a cool piece. Our chert is very dark. When found in the creek it usually has the dreaded black skum - which makes location tougher.

It appears that my poor photography skills certainly do not help others to see details. I will try harder. Thanks for taking a look at this blade.

The rock in the background was found at the side of a large flat (20yds by 80 yds) limestone ledge that IS the surface in the creek for about 80 yds....a great lounging area?...I think the folks a few years before us used this relatively clean and smooth area with flowing water down the side to clean themselves, the kids, whatever was needing cleaned. The rock appears to me as a washing rock - I believe the "ridges" in the Sioux quartzite were installed to facilitate cleaning...careful now....this is the Sioux quartzite guy tossing out more crazy ideas!

Have a fun day!

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it a couple days back in one of the ravines here on our farm. It's a cool piece. Our chert is very dark. When found in the creek it usually has the dreaded black skum - which makes location tougher.

It appears that my poor photography skills certainly do not help others to see details. I will try harder. Thanks for taking a look at this blade.

The rock in the background was found at the side of a large flat (20yds by 80 yds) limestone ledge that IS the surface in the creek for about 80 yds....a great lounging area?...I think the folks a few years before us used this relatively clean and smooth area with flowing water down the side to clean themselves, the kids, whatever was needing cleaned. The rock appears to me as a washing rock - I believe the "ridges" in the Sioux quartzite were installed to facilitate cleaning...careful now....this is the Sioux quartzite guy tossing out more crazy ideas!

Have a fun day!
Best way to capture flaking and manufacturing traits is to have the sun parallel to the flaking or manufacturing trait you want to stand out...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it is natural, no signs in pictures of being worked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread