Sioux quartzite - #4 Hafted front Scrapers

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Hafted front scrapers are the most common tool on the farm. We have all sizes and shapes. Made from anything....from abrasives to chert / flint to about any hard rock left by the glaciers.

Here are two. The first, a fairly traditional triangular shape. The other has an unusual (to me) toothed edge. The word denticulate comes to mind.
Both were well finished...for hafted front scrapers.
It must take a long time to peck that quartzite into shape.

Enjoy your week.

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6824.jpeg
    IMG_6824.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6827.jpeg
    IMG_6827.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6831.jpeg
    IMG_6831.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6830.jpeg
    IMG_6830.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Hey Von I’m not trying to be mean or rude. You seem to be very knowledgeable on terms and shapes of artifacts. If you could please show us your best point you have found on your property. I’m sorry to say this but the scrapers don’t show me any edge work and they can actually flake quartzite. So let’s see the point from your property please.

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Von I’m not trying to be mean or rude. You seem to be very knowledgeable on terms and shapes of artifacts. If you could please show us your best point you have found on your property. I’m sorry to say this but the scrapers don’t show me any edge work and they can actually flake quartzite. So let’s see the point from your property please.
Here is what we have. All collected on this farm or from the edge of Smithville Lake (3 miles north of the farm) during the early 1980s. A couple celts, a couple three/quarter axes, an odd "axe" made from some soft material (probably for abrasion work), a partial knife, a bi-face knife, and a couple three projectile points and another flaked knife. Please remember, these are all my wild guesses - no research or reading on any of these pictured. So please do not take my word as to any specific type, model or year make on any of the pieces in the picture. I you need me to turn them over, and take another photo, I will happily do it for you tomorrow.

Regarding my failing to show edge-work on these two hafted front scrapers, many if not most of the Sioux quartzite pieces here are pecked or peened once roughed out. The material here does not seem to flake very well.

Regarding the faking (not flakeing) of quartzite tools. Well, with all due respect sir, these are not high dollar "Paleo" artifacts. I do not think I made any representation as to any value at all.
Just old rock tools that have been beating around for a few thousand years....no value other than what I would place on them In terms of time and effort. And beauty.

I can pick up bucketfuls of hafted front scrapers in the creeks and campsites of this farm. No need to make my ownđź‘Ť. Besides, I have never even seen pressure flaking done (yetđź‘Ť).

I hope this satisfies.

Brother, you have a wonderful evening!

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6855.jpeg
    IMG_6855.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Very nice collection. I appreciate you posting them.👍🏼 Have a great week!

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mr. Creekside,
I will make time to take some close-ups of the edges of the tools I called scrapers. Perhaps that will be of help. Gotta wait on the plumbers to finish first :-0

vfm

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Here is what we have. All collected on this farm or from the edge of Smithville Lake (3 miles north of the farm) during the early 1980s. A couple celts, a couple three/quarter axes, an odd "axe" made from some soft material (probably for abrasion work), a partial knife, a bi-face knife, and a couple three projectile points and another flaked knife. Please remember, these are all my wild guesses - no research or reading on any of these pictured. So please do not take my word as to any specific type, model or year make on any of the pieces in the picture. I you need me to turn them over, and take another photo, I will happily do it for you tomorrow.

Regarding my failing to show edge-work on these two hafted front scrapers, many if not most of the Sioux quartzite pieces here are pecked or peened once roughed out. The material here does not seem to flake very well.

Regarding the faking (not flakeing) of quartzite tools. Well, with all due respect sir, these are not high dollar "Paleo" artifacts. I do not think I made any representation as to any value at all.
Just old rock tools that have been beating around for a few thousand years....no value other than what I would place on them In terms of time and effort. And beauty.

I can pick up bucketfuls of hafted front scrapers in the creeks and campsites of this farm. No need to make my ownđź‘Ť. Besides, I have never even seen pressure flaking done (yetđź‘Ť).

I hope this satisfies.

Brother, you have a wonderful evening!

vfm
Those are nice but let’s be serious a little. I have to ask did you find those or did someone else like a family relative? Also we’re they found on your property or the lake you mentioned?
Although there are artifacts close to my house I have yet to actually find anything on my property. In the fields there are sections that have artifacts then if you go 300 feet in almost any direction there is nothing not even a flake. The point I’m making is there isn’t artifacts in every property

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
A few points on this farm....nothing wild or crazy. Pretty much just everyday common (here ) tools. Believe me, I am ready to find a cache of 100-150 Clovis points and would happily skip deer season to dig them up. The bi-face knife was found while my wife and I sat on a warm sand bar on the creek...she was there first. I plopped down later...looked between us, and there it was. She was so pissed! ;-)
All in fun.

vfm

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
A few points on this farm....nothing wild or crazy. Pretty much just everyday common (here ) tools. Believe me, I am ready to find a cache of 100-150 Clovis points and would happily skip deer season to dig them up. The bi-face knife was found while my wife and I sat on a warm sand bar on the creek...she was there first. I plopped down later...looked between us, and there it was. She was so pissed! ;-)
All in fun.

vfm
How many miles does your creek flow upstream from where you found the oval? Most creeks here flow for 25-50 miles and the banks are 6-8 feet tall and sometimes flow over the banks. Can you imagine how many rocks and trees are moved a couple of times a year. If the artifacts have been in the creeks for 1-3000 years they could of came from anywhere. I’d appreciate the pictures of what you posted. If there is work I will be the 1st person to admit I was wrong. But if there isn’t any work I will let you know

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, they are all natural stone, not artifacts

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
A request was made for pics to better see the edges / sides of these two Sioux quartzite hafted front scrapers. It was a terrific day here for photos...sunny and beautiful.

Enjoy your week.

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6904.jpeg
    IMG_6904.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6906.jpeg
    IMG_6906.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6907.jpeg
    IMG_6907.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6903.jpeg
    IMG_6903.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6901.jpeg
    IMG_6901.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6902.jpeg
    IMG_6902.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6900.jpeg
    IMG_6900.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6898.jpeg
    IMG_6898.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Thanks for the pictures. What you have is creek tumbled rocks with creek chatter along with natural freeze and crack rocks. I’ve been creek hunting for over 10 years and those used to fool me as well.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Maybe I’m not seeing the size scale correctly, but those look huge for hafted scrapers. I gotta agree about the creek chattered edges. Keep looking. You’ll find artifacts and have fun doing it. 👍🏼

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great cobbs, I’d say graham cave or a relative of in the bottom right, and that basal notched escapes me but I’d say you have early archaic on your property, just a step away from paleo. Not saying you’ve got a gold mine but don’t undervalue those points. Also the Celt with hole in it is interesting, is it partial or does it go all the way through?

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
great cobbs, I’d say graham cave or a relative of in the bottom right, and that basal notched escapes me but I’d say you have early archaic on your property, just a step away from paleo. Not saying you’ve got a gold mine but don’t undervalue those points. Also the Celt with hole in it is interesting, is it partial or does it go all the way through?
Most of the nice artifacts were found at a nearby lake not their property.

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. Creekside,
I am confused, did I write something about the finds here on our farm or elsewhere that made you think I was talking out of both sides of my mouth? Perhaps suggesting something that was not? If so, I apologize.

I am 65 now and my focus is this farm as I am not as agile as I might have been a few years ago And it is "easy" since I can just walk out my back door.
This place and the area around us is now my focus.
And, since we live here now, we like checking out the stuff right here.
If you all think I am sending mixed signals, I will joyfully move along.

BTW, thanks for the great reminder about old dry springs. I took time yesterday and located another one in a spot I had not looked. There were lots of chips, flakes and the like all over the area where it had once flowed.
đź‘Ť.

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6859.jpeg
    IMG_6859.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16

Rockfarmer

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2023
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr. Creekside,
I am confused, did I write something about the finds here on our farm or elsewhere that made you think I was talking out of both sides of my mouth? Perhaps suggesting something that was not? If so, I apologize.

I am 65 now and my focus is this farm as I am not as agile as I might have been a few years ago And it is "easy" since I can just walk out my back door.
This place and the area around us is now my focus.
And, since we live here now, we like checking out the stuff right here.
If you all think I am sending mixed signals, I will joyfully move along.

BTW, thanks for the great reminder about old dry springs. I took time yesterday and located another one in a spot I had not looked. There were lots of chips, flakes and the like all over the area where it had once flowed
Roaming around on your own soil puts a little more drive in your legs it seems, it helps me stay on my feet more than I should at times. Gotta keep them moving my friend as do I at the moment. Just stopped for a quick lunch and headed back out to wrestle with a big white oak log

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread