Unidentifed button stamped No. 1 Possibly Rev War.

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,

For your consideration. I purchased this oddity from a seller who found it amongst a small lot of dug items he acquired at the Gettysburg Civil War Show.

The metal appears to be a copper or brass alloy. On the reverse, the remnant of a boss or burr base which appears to have once secured an Omega-type wire eye.
I have never seen anything like this. American-made Buttons of the Revolutionary War period are usually one piece with a drilled shank, so I am skeptical this could be state militia or Continental.

The button certainly appears to predate the Civil War Period. The decorative scrolled '1' is reminiscence of an American Circa War of 1812 type.

Any ideas?

P.S. As a collector who has purchased all my items, I am writhing and twisting with envy of the guys (and gals?) who go out in the trenches and get to experience the excitement of rescuing history. Someday I'll be out there! Like Kurt Franz, the detectorist who found that extraordinarily mint condition Revolutionary War period USA button on the bottom of a lake. If it was me who found it, I'd probably have a stroke or heart attack.

Regards,

JG

1_1 front.jpg

1_1 reverse.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,

CC: Crusader

Unfortunately I do not have the option in my 'thread tools' to mark this mystery as solved. Probably because I have a new account. Does someone know an all-powerful Moderator who can mark it for me? I am fully satisfied that this is a closed case as as far as the identity of the button. The mystery of how this button came to be in the Southern United States, will probably remain a mystery.

Best regards,

JG

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have the option in my 'thread tools' to mark this mystery as solved. Probably because I have a new account. Does someone know an all-powerful Moderator who can mark it for me? I am fully satisfied that this is a closed case as as far as the identity of the button. The mystery of how this button came to be in the Southern United States, will probably remain a mystery.

Best regards,

JG

P.S. I have a feeling that Iron Guy is going to be a real thorn in my side...lol
Maybe only works in the What Is It, but never knew that. Ask a ''Mod'' to move it & mark it. ''Jeff of PA''.

PS. Finds are only clues, not all of them make sense. Some will never be explained, had plenty of those.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Best regards,

JG

P.S. I have a feeling that Iron Guy is going to be a real thorn in my side...lol

Nope. Very little interest in the button/topic.

Hey Cal, how are things, has been a while. :)

C.C.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can only mark a thread solved in the "What Is It" forum, not here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread