Unidentified from Chester County, PA. Is it Mushroomed Lead?

X10Matt

Sep 26, 2013
Chester County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Uneducated noob here. Please excuse my ignorance as I'm just getting started in MD'ing. I found this object in my backyard. It is heavy (1.5 oz) and non-magnetic. I suspect that it is lead. It was about 4" deep. My home sits close to a protected historic district in Uwchlan Twp in Chester County, PA. I believe my property may have been farmland in the 1800's but I'm not sure. My home was built around 1969. Could this be some sort of shrapnel from the 1800's? Is it a scrap of machinery or construction equipment from the 1960's? Other than this, I haven't found much of interest in my yard: LOTS of nails & screws, a deteriorating wrench, modern loose change, a small metal rod and a 1972 Matchbox car. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt

Top View
You can see here that the top was round-ish but appears to be mushroomed. Notice the concentric circles. There is also a tear down the side which I assume is from some sort of impact.
a.jpg

Side View
This view shows that the object has sort of a "hat" to it. And, it appears to have ears or tabs on either side.
b.jpg

Bottom/Side View
The bottom has a divot in it which appears to have been somewhat round at one time. But, it has been warped along the side with the split.
c.jpg

Bottom
The bottom view shows a better shot of the divot.
d.jpg

I don't get a sense that it is lead. Maybe a brass alloy of some kind? It looks like a big rivet.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back