Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a newspaper article from ny times from 1929 that mentions "german-american a.c. team wins title in german american athletic union meet." Seems to be a track and field event from early 1900s

Upvote 2

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems it was an annual event and held at Weequahic park, Newark NJ

Upvote 1
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
I found a newspaper article from ny times from 1929 that mentions "german-american a.c. team wins title in german american athletic union meet." Seems to be a track and field event from early 1900s
Wow--that really helps! Thanks so much for your time and effort!

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Google "german american athletic club", including quotes. There are quite a few mentions of the group.

Upvote 0

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After much research, I have not been able to gain any more information on this medal.
Does anyone know the history of these medals? Thanks!
That Medal looks quite familiar…. I can’t quite place it, but it reminded me of a 1921 silver AAU medal I had seen and it looks like it could be produced (by the same company that produced it for/or) in connection with the AAU amateur athletic union of the same time period…especially 1920's and 1930's. There was also a copper Pacific union AAU medal I remember seeing from 1934 that is also similar in design. I wonder if this group was involved with or had some relationship with other sport groups that boycotted the 1936 Olympics in Germany…might be worth a follow up!?!

i like the medal either way and at a very interesting time in history as well! Good luck with finding more information!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
That Medal looks quite familiar…. I can’t quite place it, but it reminded me of a 1921 silver AAU medal I had seen and it looks like it could be produced (by the same company that produced it for/or) in connection with the AAU amateur athletic union of the same time period…especially 1920's and 1930's. There was also a copper Pacific union AAU medal I remember seeing from 1934 that is also similar in design. I wonder if this group was involved with or had some relationship with other sport groups that boycotted the 1936 Olympics in Germany…might be worth a follow up!?!

i like the medal either way and at a very interesting time in history as well! Good luck with finding more information!
Thank you so much for this excellent reply!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread