UNIFACE POINT

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post in this forum. Got tired/frustrated replacing a floor in my camper saturday and decided to take the dogs down by the river to play. Glad i did. Another point to add to my small collection. If anybody has info for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Northeast tn find

Thanks
Joe
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528734606.547989.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528734650.792002.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528734740.659354.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528734776.543804.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528734816.842748.jpg

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground slate. I saw a similar one on the net from Sweden. Gary

Attachments

• sweden norway slate.jpg
    sweden norway slate.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 87

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although a little far north for the type, it looks like a Waller knife to me. Great find!

OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. The material is native around here(think its slate). First point ive found made of it though

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some kind of chert to me. I've never seen slate fracture like that.

OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shale maybe...dunno

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Looks like some kind of chert to me. I've never seen slate fracture like that.

I agree with your opinion as a Waller knife even though it’s a bit out of place. It’s a river find which makes it very plausible. One image shows flaking/chipping which all but eliminates slate and shale in my opinion.

I’d love to see this piece in person!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I agree with Sandchip and 1320, I don't think it's shale. The curvature of the flake (a spall) and the type of chipping make think it might be a chalky piece of chert. Dover, Ft Payne, Brassfield and other Tennessee cherts can have "dry" spots that can absorb creek stain or are just grey to begin with.

And it looks like a Waller knife, so likely your oldest find unless you've already found something really cool like a Clovis or Cumberland.

OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your opinion as a Waller knife even though it’s a bit out of place. It’s a river find which makes it very plausible. One image shows flaking/chipping which all but eliminates slate and shale in my opinion.

I’d love to see this piece in person!

Im in the johnson city area. Could probably arrange that. Thanks for the response too.
Im always learning

OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Sandchip and 1320, I don't think it's shale. The curvature of the flake (a spall) and the type of chipping make think it might be a chalky piece of chert. Dover, Ft Payne, Brassfield and other Tennessee cherts can have "dry" spots that can absorb creek stain or are just grey to begin with.

And it looks like a Waller knife, so likely your oldest find unless you've already found something really cool like a Clovis or Cumberland.

I have a couple archaic points. Im unfamiliar with the type of materials around here but it does seem to resemble some of the pictures ive looked at. Thanks for your help

Joe

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Warning: This thread is 2 years old.

Missed this one the first time around. I found one very like this one, years ago, in Montour Co. Pennsylvania. Corner struck uniface with two converging top facets. Gave it, along with everything else from that site, to a friend when we moved. In the Danville public library there's another, more robust one with an endscraper termination. Both are made of silicified shale from (apparently) NE Pennsylvania that is exotic to the area.

What's intriguing is that the Mayans made points like this. Sides un-trimmed unless re-sharpened or use worn.
Mayan Stemmed Blade Projectile Point

And while no one's suggesting there were Mayans in Pennsylvania back then, given that nobody else here ever seems to have used that knapping strategy, it makes me go, "hmmm . . ."

Anybody else ?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There might well be some connection in knapping techniques, but at the same time, there are marked differences between the Mayan point and the Waller knife. The Wallers usually have two simple notches, at the bulb end rather than a long stem. Also, Wallers rarely approach the length of the Mayan point illustrated, if that is the typical average length. The differences wouldn't necessarily discount a connection, but might just be the result of local preferences in construction.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This uniface point is a personal find from the homestead N. California . Waller Knife look ?

Attachments

• pink point and blades 006.JPG
    pink point and blades 006.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 41
  • pink point and blades 005.JPG
    pink point and blades 005.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 38
  • pink point and blades 010.JPG
    pink point and blades 010.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 34
  • pink point and blades 008.JPG
    pink point and blades 008.JPG