Uniface points anyone??

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I have a nice dovetail I found in Northern Indiana that is mostly uniface. There are a couple or flakes in the notches and to shape the base, but the blade portion is uniface.

They aren’t common, but seem to be purely knife form of the relatively common early archaic type.

OP
OP
A

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway you can post a picture? I’d like to see that :)
Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uniface generally refers to blades and scrapers. I have some collected this summer but no pics as of yet.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
0910180654a.jpg 0910180654.jpg

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know your asking about early archaic points, but just wanted to throw in that I have plenty of uniface points from a woodland camp I hunt... I also have a few uniface late/terminal archaic stemmed points. Well, I should say that I don't think any are truly uniface though, because there's usually a little work on the edges or base. It's not worth posting photos of the stemmed points because they're all broken and worn, but they were made on large flakes.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you set out to knap a point you start with a piece of flint. You can go one of two ways with it. Spall it, or center cut it. Center cutting is making the largest possible point from a piece of flint. A center cut point will always be worked on both sides. If you have a large piece of flint, you can center cut or instead, spall it. Spalls are just large flakes, maybe 3-4" across and 1/2" thick. One side of the spall is usually flat and the knapper took advantage of this already flat side and took thinning flakes off the opposite side. A point with one flat side shows good economy on the part of the Indian. More, but smaller points can be made from a nodule by spalling. Gary

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0804181844.jpg 0804181845.jpg Best point I found this year was in fact a uniface!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread