Uniface Quartz Knife?

discoidal roller

May 4, 2012
Clarksburg, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up yesterday on a hunt inspired by painterx's cumberland. Piedmont region of Maryland, in an area known for Archaic activity. Looks to be a re-worked knife, with one ear still intact. When top was broken, looks like it spalled off a thin layer about 2/3 of the way down. Still razor sharp all the way around. Thoughts?

knife angled web.jpg knife back web.jpg knife ear1 web.jpg knife ear2 web.jpg knife edge2 web.jpg knife front2 sketched web.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a nice size flake it looks like the idea was to eventually work it into a biface of some kind .. The shape you have outlined already shows what would be work on creating the base while the piece is still untouched on the opposite side... it just wouldn't happen that way the shape is just a coincidence in my opinion.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a nice size flake it looks like the idea was to eventually work it into a biface of some kind .. The shape you have outlined already shows what would be work on creating the base while the piece is still untouched on the opposite side... it just wouldn't happen that way the shape is just a coincidence in my opinion.

i think worth studying for a minute but i gotta agree with gator i think it might be just one of them things????.........but i can be wrong a good share of the time

posting this type of find always seems to bring discussion....so thank you for that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread