Union cavalry saber, would appreciate any information .

JM9841

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Hey everyone, my grandfather found this sword in his aunts house after she passed. There was also a painting of a soldier in union uniform ( more than likely an ancestor of ours) I do not get a picture of that. I would appreciate any info at all about this sword. Eventually I'll try to dig up information to identify the swords owner. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little tid bit of info, the curvature of the blade establishes that it is actually a "saber" swords use a straight blade sometimes dual edged. Sabers were used by officers normally on horseback and the curvature assisted in "popping" the blade free when enemy was impaled by he officer. Straight bladed swords were more difficult to free from the enemy as the rider rode by. So typically, straight blade is a sword, curved is a saber (normally).

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Just a little tid bit of info, the curvature of the blade establishes that it is actually a "saber" swords use a straight blade sometimes dual edged. Sabers were used by officers normally on horseback and the curvature assisted in "popping" the blade free when enemy was impaled by he officer. Straight bladed swords were more difficult to free from the enemy as the rider rode by. So typically, straight blade is a sword, curved is a saber (normally).

With that said, sabers were rarely used in battle as an effective weapon. Southerners especially did not use sabers in the fight rather opting for pistols. A few notable battles where they were used -Brandy Station and Gettysburg - were exceptions and not the norm. Furthermore, impaling was rare as swords were primarily used for breaking bones... when used at all. Of course everything is subjective but that's what my research over time has shown.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sabers were used more for slashing attacks rather than stabbing "impaling" attacks--(impaling" a foe would tie you up as you tried to remove your sword --you would be in effect "helpless"- not good) sabers where used upon horseback when you were in close quarters combat with lots of enemy people around you and was used for lopping heads off as well as slashing attacks to the head ,neck and chest area , and taking off arms as well -- by the time of the civil war , most horsemen would much rather have 2 or more pistols and the southern ones often packed a sawed off shotgun for close up and dirty work --fighting with swords as a rule was seldom done , because while you waved your sword they shot you to bits. (old saying--- don't bring a knife (sword) to a gun fight)

Last edited:

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Cavalry were trained to hit the enemy on the arms and collarbones to injure versus kill as most troopers did not even sharpen their blades. Same goes for bayonets. These images of close quarters with bayonets and swords are more fiction than not. Civil War medical records show very, very few people were killed using either weapon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread