Union or Confederate bullet?

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Today started out pretty lousy when I spotted a puddle of water under my water heater.It quickly got better while purchasing a new one.A gentleman introduced himself and asked about the family and told me where he lived.I recognized the area as having some CW history and asked for permission to detect.Permission granted, I just had to check it out(with the new water heater still in the Camino) and spent about 45 minutes in the field.This bullet was my only find but I'm sure there's more.It is a 52 caliber and just want know which army it is from.Anyone?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a US sharps carbine looks fired too.
The weapon of choice by Calvary & sharp shooters

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... Good indications of Calvary activity when you start finding sharps...

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely a civil war era fired .52-caliber Sharps Rifle/Carbine bullet. Both sides used that type of bullet, but it was "primarily" yankee-made and used.

XL-PRO PRO wrote:
> This was found on the crest of a hill meaning that I'm in the right area!

Just posting the following info for any readers here who do not already know it. Fired bullets can travel a long way past the target they were aimed at. The "trick" for us relic-hunters to accomplish is to find the location of the enemy troops whom the fired civil war bullet was aimed at, if you want to find their uniform buttons, their unfired bullets, and other military equipment. May you have good fortune in your civil war relic-hunting. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread