πŸ₯‡ BANNER Union sword belt plate in great shape!

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say I dug this tonight, but as it was only about 2" deep there wasn't much digging involved. I'm a coin guy, so I had to get Keith @ Fort Bedford to positively ID this for me. Not being a relic guy though, I'm still stoked! I'm really impressed at how good of shape it's in for being perched basically on the surface of a rocky outcrop for 150 years.

One question I do still have - when I look these up online I see a similar but different pattern that keeps popping up everywhere (less empty space in the lower corners). Can anybody tell me anything else about this?

Edit: Added "after" photo after all the crud dried and fell off. No cleaning other than with a dry toothbrush

Last edited:
Upvote 35

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I missed this post, glad to see it bumped on the Banner...
Getting the recognition it deserves!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, I missed it as well. It must have been buried under other posts quickly. Great find! Congrats on banner!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I missed this post, glad to see it bumped on the Banner...
Getting the recognition it deserves!

You and me both - I didn't realize it made banner til right now! Thanks guys! I went back to the spot the other day and pulled a nice Barber quarter out of it too. I'm still holding out for seated at the spot. I'm thinking it's not going to give up the keeper or the silver wreaths though...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic relic find, a beautiful piece of American History, congratulations! :occasion14:

bulletprobe

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this buckle belongs to a colonel of the union army in the 7th calvary, where did you get this bucklein what state my friend??

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this buckle belongs to a colonel of the union army in the 7th calvary, where did you get this bucklein what state my friend??

Maryland - what are you basing this on? I know I'm not real well versed in this stuff, but everyone else has told me that because the wreaths were not cast that it was just a regular enlisted issue plate and not an officer's. Beyond that, I know that the place I found this was occupied in 1861-1862 by the Union army, but a quick search on Google tells me that the 7th Cavalry wasn't formed until 1866 and was in the area between Kansas and Montana, so I find it hard to believe that's what this is.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

7th Calvary was formed in September of 1866.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread