Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday I decided to head back to a woods spot I hunted once before.
I’ve found a couple of musket balls and square nails the last time I went there so I knew this site had potential.

When I dug this cross it was covered in dirt,but I knew it was Silver cause of the signal I got.

It was only when I cleaned it thou that I noticed it was a silversmiths handmade Cross.

No makers mark on it and don’t know the exact age of the Cross,but I love the art work on it.

Well this find surely made my Day.

Attachments

• 6550562B-8CF7-4E0A-9614-B2B0148E91A6.jpeg
    6550562B-8CF7-4E0A-9614-B2B0148E91A6.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 1,335
  • 77C7BCDC-6581-4BBA-A77D-8915868B156F.jpeg
    77C7BCDC-6581-4BBA-A77D-8915868B156F.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 1,103
Last edited:
Upvote 100

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An amazing find that reeks of old history. Congratulations on saving a wonderful piece! I vote "banner" also. Sub 8-)

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well well, what have we here? Seems to be an extremely well worn and pretty "crude" piece of silver that SCREAMS OLD! Most definitely one of those extremely rare finds we all wish could whisper just a few brief factoids of it's creation and travels. Not sure why other than the Catholic connection but, I am thinking Jesuit for some reason?:dontknow: Any way you cut it this finds would most certainly cause the rescuer to STOP!:stop:...and begin to consider what the heck did I just dig up?!???? "Jesus" does resemble an "alien" and the figure on the reverse may well have been "Mary". WOW! This find is just about as cool as COOL can get. I agree with other's due to it's mystery, age, and "personal" significance it is a BANNER find. No disrespect intended but, you seem to have some "bloodhound" in you for finding the good stuff. Well done.:icon_salut:

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well well, what have we here? Seems to be an extremely well worn and pretty "crude" piece of silver that SCREAMS OLD! Most definitely one of those extremely rare finds we all wish could whisper just a few brief factoids of it's creation and travels. Not sure why other than the Catholic connection but, I am thinking Jesuit for some reason?:dontknow: Any way you cut it this finds would most certainly cause the rescuer to STOP!:stop:...and begin to consider what the heck did I just dig up?!???? "Jesus" does resemble an "alien" and the figure on the reverse may well have been "Mary". WOW! This find is just about as cool as COOL can get. I agree with other's due to it's mystery, age, and "personal" significance it is a BANNER find. No disrespect intended but, you seem to have some "bloodhound" in you for finding the good stuff. Well done.:icon_salut:

Thank you,for us Detectorist,being called a bloodhound is quite the compliment.
This find might well be related to the Jesuits or the Black Robes as the Natives used to call them.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just really like this cross and I really couldn' t contribute much knowledge about origins but it looks like nothing I have ever seen and is so intriguing. I would be wearing that daily. You must have been wildly delighted with this precious find. Congratulations...and maybe I am too free with my votes but I am going BANNER with this!

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just really like this cross and I really couldn' t contribute much knowledge about origins but it looks like nothing I have ever seen and is so intriguing. I would be wearing that daily. You must have been wildly delighted with this precious find. Congratulations...and maybe I am too free with my votes but I am going BANNER with this!
Thank you

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Searched for a few days and still can't find a similar example. All signs point to Catholic missionary and very early. Have I mentioned it's a banner find?...I think I did.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the most unique finds I have seen on here in a long time. Definitely Banner worthy.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searched for a few days and still can't find a similar example. All signs point to Catholic missionary and very early. Have I mentioned it's a banner find?...I think I did.

Can't find an exact one you mean? I see plenty similar. In fact it was not something that was unfamiliar to me without a google search. It's all brass ones I've seen, and I thought they probably dated into the 1800s, but it's not something I ever paid much attention to, or looked into. They may have been made close to the same over many decades, which wouldn't surprise me. Not that the time frame really matters much anyway except for I wouldn't think it dates early enough to be fur trade, and it is way different than the typical fur trade cross - which I think probably suggests the later date. Nothing has been said about what was found with it which could be a hint.

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't find an exact one you mean? I see plenty similar. In fact it was not something that was unfamiliar to me without a google search. It's all brass ones I've seen, and I thought they probably dated into the 1800s, but it's not something I ever paid much attention to, or looked into. They may have been made close to the same over many decades, which wouldn't surprise me. Not that the time frame really matters much anyway except for I wouldn't think it dates early enough to be fur trade, and it is way different than the typical fur trade cross - which I think probably suggests the later date. Nothing has been said about what was found with it which could be a hint.

They only other items I found in these woods is some musketballs and square nails.
Then again I’ve only covered 20-30 percent of these woods since Ive only hunted there maybe 4-5 times.
Hopefully I’ll something else that offers clues.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yes. Similar in the sense amateur made. There's plenty of nicely made catholic silver crosses from the Fur Trade period but nothing like that one. Unique item.

Ice Scratcher

Jul 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats on the crucifix!!

I've found a couple trade silvers including a cross, but not a crucifix yet...

The thing that interested on your find is the back.. I have found an old brass crucifix with a similar image on the back.. I can't seem to find others with the same.. Mine almost looks like a wrapped mummy...

Also interesting is the backwards N in the INRI at the top of yours...

Congrats!

<°)))>{

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Might be something to do with Dia de Muertos Festival TP

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the most unique finds I have seen on here in a long time. Definitely Banner worthy.

Thank you,definitely my best find so far this year.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful, Tony!!

I'm a few days late to the party due to some travel, but after seeing comments by some of the best and brightest on this forum support an 18th C. date and recognize the rarity, I'm really in awe of this find.

I'm casting my banner vote (and I'm still scratching my head over your incredible Louis XV not being up there!)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is unique, and obviously very old. I love it :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread