Unique Hematite Item

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Mooch inspired me to show a very unique piece in my collection after he showed the cone/boat/core. I can't take credit for finding it. It was purchased with a large collection that was found in Northern Indiana. The piece is broken and glued. I didn't break it, it came to me that way.
Description- Almost 4" hematite(not quite limonite, but not a high iron content hematite judging by the weight) piece. The best way to describe the shape is "spoonlike". There is clearly a bunch of work done in the concave area of the "spoon". The back end looks mostly like the natural shape. The lip of the spoon is round off, and does not show a sharp edge.
What is it?- Here is my theory, but I am certainly open to other ideas. I really want to see another like it, but I have not come across one. I believe it was a hematite paint stone, that took on the shape of a spoon as the "red ochre" was ground out of it. In my fanciful mind, I want it to be an actual spoon.
All comments are appreciated.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• merlin23.jpg
    merlin23.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 372
  • merlin23a.jpg
    merlin23a.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 365
  • merlin23b.jpg
    merlin23b.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Interesting piece. Maybe a cooking stone / dish. You say it's lighter than hematite, maybe the reddish color in the stone is the result of heat / fire. Jmo, your paint bowl idea sounds more plausible.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoons seem so rare but they are out there. I found one of clay. I think you are safe with your fanciful wish. Very nice artifact. Much nicer than pottery. :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool looking piece Jon. I can see what you mean about the material. It doesn't look like a normal piece of Hematite would look and does sort of resemble a piece of Limonite, but if they were grinding on it for pigment it has to be Hematite and probably just a lesser grade.

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Gentlemen,
I should have been more specific on the material aspect of the piece. It is hematite or at least an iron containing rock. It does have a heavier weight/density than other hardstones, just not as heavy as some other high iron content hematite pieces I own. I am certain you could make red ochre from it. One problem might be that I have a new camera, and haven't quite figured out how to get the color right. Flash issues.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread