SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
3rd regt Continental Dragoons
Unique pewter field cast button from SC and shown as found, no restorations. From Troiani: "Looks like a field made piece. 3RLD is pretty explicit though...I would like to use it in my book update.."
From William Leigh: "The 3RLD button which you recently found is a rare and, as yet, unique button of the American Revolutionary War."
Entered in WE&T best finds 2009 and made cover.
The state of material need concerning Col. William Washington's 3rd Dragoons as existed in 1781 during operations in SC is summed up in this quote--
July 22, 1781 - Excerpt from General Greene in camp at High Hills of the Santee to Marquis de Lafayette: "...Colonel Washington's Regiment is in distress for want of Cloathing and every necesssary, and is of it self very small......"

HH TNET!

Attachments

• 3rcld---detail.jpg
    3rcld---detail.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 517
  • dragoon back.jpg
    dragoon back.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 0
better photo

Attachments

• dragoon better image.jpg
    dragoon better image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 478
That is one of the BEST, and RAREST Revolutionary War buttons EVER dug...PERIOD!!!

The rarity is off the charts!

Imagine the history that button has witnessed.....it give me goosebumps!!!! It saw the founding of our Nation. It is a honor just to view it, I can't imagine how it felt to dig it, and then hold it......AWESOME!!!

GREAT FIND!!
REB

55th Massachusetts said:
That is one of the BEST, and RAREST Revolutionary War buttons EVER dug...PERIOD!!!

Imagine the history that button has witnessed.....it give me goosebumps!!!! It saw the founding of our Nation. It is a honor just to view it, I can't imagine how it felt to dig it, and then hold it......AWESOME!!!

GREAT FIND!!
REB
Thanks Robert! That means a lot to me coming from you. The button came from a water area that was a site of operations of the 3rld. If only this ugly little button could talk, the stories!.........
Keith

Many people probably confuse that one with the British 3rd Dragoons... HUGE difference! Difference in both history and value.

SC Keith said:
55th Massachusetts said:

GREAT FIND!!
REB
Thanks Robert! That means a lot to me coming from you. The button came from a water area that was a site of operations of the 3rld. If only this ugly little button could talk, the stories!.........
Keith

Ugly? For pewter that's fantastic. I don't have one even close for condition in the 50+ Rev buttons I've dug. (not really sure how many)

Iron Patch said:
Many people probably confuse that one with the British 3rd Dragoons... HUGE difference! Difference in both history and value.
Thanks IP! When found we looked at the possibilty of a "3rd Buffs" field cast but I think the dragoon angle dismissed that. Then we looked at the SC light dragoon angle and some rev war guys(way more knowledgable than me), concluded in their opinion that the CLD attribution was much more likely. Oh yea.... your two KAR buttons just blew my peepers out again :laughing9: Those two stoke my fire every time I see them!
Keith

Iron Patch said:
SC Keith said:
55th Massachusetts said:

GREAT FIND!!
REB
Keith

Ugly? For pewter that's fantastic. I don't have one even close for condition in the 50+ Rev buttons I've dug. (not really sure how many)
Being in water saved the day for this button's condition. This Cont. army button I dug last month on a sandy site near the coast in SC is pretty much typical here of the pewter buttons, of course there are exceptions. Sometimes the planets line up just right on a super rare buttons condition like those KAR's :tongue3: Dang it those are freekin' amazing pieces...

Attachments

• usapewter.jpg
    usapewter.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 492
SC Keith said:
Iron Patch said:
SC Keith said:
55th Massachusetts said:

GREAT FIND!!
REB
Keith

Being in water saved the day for this button's condition. This Cont. army button I dug last month on a sandy site near the coast in SC is pretty much typical here of the pewter buttons, of course there are exceptions. Sometimes the planets line up just right on a super rare buttons condition like those KAR's :tongue3: Dang it those are freekin' amazing pieces...

If they were all brass it would be a much different story, but the reality is most dug pewter here comes out like your USA. The history is still the same so I am always happy to add a new one. (but very tough to do as the last few years it's all buttons I've found before)

55th Massachusetts said:

GREAT FIND!!
REB

Why isn't this on the Banner yet?

crazyjarhead said:
55th Massachusetts said:

GREAT FIND!!
REB

Why isn't this on the Banner yet?
Thanks bud! I found it in 2009 before I joined TNET-- HH
Keith

This button is just plain Colonial sick, Keith. :laughing7: It is an honor just to view this find over the forum. I bet holding it is so much better. That button right there solidified your spot in the "Colonial Metal Detecting Hall of Fame." :headbang:

Kirk :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back