✅ SOLVED Unique rock? Or something else..

Beach_Baby

Jul 31, 2016
BC
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this at the beach today and I can't figure out if it used to be part of something, is a fossil, or is just a uniquely shaped rock!

It has a smooth curve, and the backside has a bit of a lip or ledge on it.

Any guesses? Thanks!

rock1.jpg
rock2.jpg
rock3.jpg

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My reference to seeing things in clouds was my way of saying that even though I see what appear to be images in this rock, that doesn't mean that they are man made. Nature can create things that look to be altered by man. On the other hand, as to this item, I'm not convinced that it has not been crafted by man. My post was to offer what I saw in the rock, not to weigh in on what/who created the images that I saw. So, does anyone else see the images I described?

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a close up.
81a05741ed8cd1cbc6d5d3c0ad03ec3d.jpg

Maybe a serpent you saw.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beach_Baby

Beach_Baby

Jul 31, 2016
BC
Primary Interest:
I see that it could be a broken piece from a garden ornamental statue or something along those lines could have fallen off a trash barge or something like that.IMO so Bob you don't need to convert me I said in my opinion.We all can have our own.

That makes sense to me too.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
So, does anyone else see the images I described?
NO its in your imagination LOL

I dont mean to pick on you Spats. I was just trying to determine if you really thought someone carved 4 little people and a calf on this rock. Because I dont see that because it doesnt really exist. Its in your imagination just like looking in the clouds. And seeing these imaginary things or seeing something nature created that resembles the legs of 4 little people doesnt help with the identification process. Unless you really think its carved by man, or a fossil, there was no reason to mention it.

BTW I have given up a long time ago trying to understand what Bob is seeing. And you may find others that agree with you but it doesnt mean these images (little people, a calf, serpent etc) actually exist on this rock..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I think I see Mickey Mouse in the clouds it doesn't mean Disneyland is up there.

I'm going with rock or coral shaped by years of sand and water.

Upvote 0

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not used to finding things on beaches, cause there aren't any beaches here, but, to me, the shaping and marks are intriguing.
That looks like a soft type of rock like sandstone is, so IDK.
I actually see a horse head, and mane, if you turn it up the other way.

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if this.helps you guys see what's on it.
396125714b57119b3b0aa1e0ec676db5.jpg

Just a negative with less contrast

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said there are scenes on these stones. I don't expect you to understand what your looking at because of all the symbols and effigies. But they do have a meaning

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Like I said there are scenes on these stones. I don't expect you to understand what your looking at because of all the symbols and effigies. But they do have a meaning

since you are an expert on these stones, tell us all what they say please.

Upvote 0

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much would you offer Beach Baby for this stone?

Upvote 0

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NO its in your imagination LOL

I dont mean to pick on you Spats. I was just trying to determine if you really thought someone carved 4 little people and a calf on this rock. Because I dont see that because it doesnt really exist. Its in your imagination just like looking in the clouds. And seeing these imaginary things or seeing something nature created that resembles the legs of 4 little people doesnt help with the identification process. Unless you really think its carved by man, or a fossil, there was no reason to mention it.

Let me clear up why I mentioned it. What I like about this forum is that multiple people weigh in with observations and opinions. Some incorrect identifications often spark a memory or thought that causes another member to make a correct identification. What I don't like is when someone states that an item is 100% no questions asked all natural and then tells anyone who even suggests a possible man made aspect that they are not helping and their post should not have been made. To repeat for the third time, I don't know if this is all natural or has been altered by man with some of the definition worn down by the ocean or other elements. I saw something in the rock that I thought may have helped someone else to identify. What I do know is that all opinions and observations should be welcomed if they are posted in the spirit of trying to help. No hard feelings, just my opinion. If all "wrong" identifications, observations, and opinions were removed, we would be left with a much less interesting and less helpful forum. I took no offense to your posts regarding this and please know that I mean no offense with mine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When this was posted, nothing caught my eye.
I've found worthless things that I thought were treasure.
I've cast away treasure that I thought was worthless.

I've been tuned into this from day one. I had my own opinion.
I've read many strong worded opinions about this piece.

This is a great site for education. I'll keep watching and waiting to be educated about this.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Let me clear up why I mentioned it. What I like about this forum is that multiple people weigh in with observations and opinions. Some incorrect identifications often spark a memory or thought that causes another member to make a correct identification. What I don't like is when someone states that an item is 100% no questions asked all natural and then tells anyone who even suggests a possible man made aspect that they are not helping and their post should not have been made. To repeat for the third time, I don't know if this is all natural or has been altered by man with some of the definition worn down by the ocean or other elements. I saw something in the rock that I thought may have helped someone else to identify. What I do know is that all opinions and observations should be welcomed if they are posted in the spirit of trying to help. No hard feelings, just my opinion. If all "wrong" identifications, observations, and opinions were removed, we would be left with a much less interesting and less helpful forum. I took no offense to your posts regarding this and please know that I mean no offense with mine.
I can tell you with 99.99 % that this item does not have 4 little people and a calf carved into it. I can also say with the same certainty that its not a magic rock. This is the What Is It Forum where wrong observations are weeded out as part of the process.

The "What Is It Forum" is the one and only forum where we are actually encouraged to tell someone they are wrong. Its the only possible way of making a correct identification. But I also understand everyone wants to participate. OK you have a right to your opinion but in this case I think you just have to accept you were wrong and move on. Otherwise you are encouraging others and making it very uninteresting. And let me clarify, your post is not the worst. Take care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now we're talking'! ;)

Welcome to the forum Beach-Baby. I know artifacts pretty good and it may just be a geo -fact. We see items like this often in the north American artifact section. I am guilty of seeing something that is not there in many things I find. It natural for our brains to want to do that. But this is how we learn the truth ..for a fun read google "mimetoliths

"
Rocks may come to mimic recognizable forms through the random processes of formation, weathering, and erosion. Most often, the size scale of the rock is larger than the object it resembles, such as a cliff profile resembling a human face. Well-meaning people with a new interest in fossils can pick up chert nodules, concretions or pebbles resembling bones, skulls, turtle shells, dinosaur eggs, etc., in both size and shape.In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Japanese researcher Chonosuke Okamura self-published a series of reports titled Original Report of the Okamura Fossil Laboratory, in which he described tiny inclusions in polished limestone from the Silurian period (425 mya) as being preserved fossil remains of tiny humans, gorillas, dogs, dragons, dinosaurs, and other organisms, all of them only millimeters long, leading him to claim, "There have been no changes in the bodies of mankind since the Silurian period... except for a growth in stature from 3.5 mm to 1,700 mm."[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] Okamura's research earned him an Ig Nobel Prize (a parody of the Nobel Prizes) in biodiversity in 1996.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9
:hello:[/SUP]

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread