Status
Not open for further replies.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
Re: United Airlines DC-6 Flight 624

Schuyler v. United Air Lines, 94 F.Supp. 472 (M.D. Pa., 1950)

94 F.Supp. 472

SCHUYLER
v.
UNITED AIR LINES, Inc.

Civ. No. 3304.

United States District Court M. D. Pennsylvania.

December 18, 1950.

Page 473

Ralph P. Needle and Needle, Needle & Needle, all of Scranton, Pa., Guy E. Ward, Beverly Hills, Cal., Douglas N. Sharretts, Baltimore, Md., for plaintiff.

Eugene Nogi and Nogi, O'Malley & Harris, all of Scranton, Pa., Owen B. Rhoads, Arthur E. Newbold, III, and Barnes, Dechert, Price, Myers & Clark, all of Philadelphia, Pa., and David L. Corbin, New York City, for defendant.

WATSON, Chief Judge.

This is a suit by Jessie I. Schuyler, Ancillary Executrix of the Estate of Earl Carroll, deceased, Plaintiff, against the United Air Lines, Inc., Defendant, under the Pennsylvania "Survival" Statute1 for damages for the death of Earl Carroll, who was killed instantly when Defendant's Douglas DC-6 Aircraft No. NC-37506 on which he was a passenger crashed near Mt. Carmel, Pennsylvania, about 12:41 P.M., on June 17, 1948. The case was tried before the Court and a jury. The jury returned a verdict in favor of the Defendant.

The case is now before the Court on Plaintiff's Motion to set aside the verdict and judgment entered thereon, and for a new trial. At the oral argument on the Motion, counsel for Plaintiff urged only one reason as ground for granting the motion, although other reasons stated in the written motion were not withdrawn. The reason urged was that the Court committed prejudicial error in connection with questions concerning certain documents, and photostatic copies thereof, referred to throughout the trial as the "Zell Report".

After this case was set for trial to begin April 3, 1950, counsel for Plaintiff presented to the Court, on March 31, 1950, a Motion for Production of Documents, etc., under Rule 34 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.2 The Motion contained requests in twenty-nine separate paragraphs for documents of various descriptions, including a request in paragraph 22 for "Copy of report by Mr. Louis Zell, Chief of Communications, United Air Lines, pertaining

Page 474

to interpretation of recordings of radio contact between Flight 624 United Air Lines, June 16-17, 1948, between the hours of 12:30 E.S.T., and 12:45 E.S.T., June 17, 1948." On April 3, 1950, a jury was sworn to try the case, and on April 4, 1950, and April 5, 1950, an argument was held in Chambers on Plaintiff's Motion for Production of Documents, etc. On April 5, 1950, Opinion and Order3 were filed by this Court granting in part and denying in part Plaintiff's Motion for Production of Documents, etc. This Opinion, in referring to paragraph 22 of Plaintiff's Motion, stated: "It appears that, as to requests for production referred to in Paragraphs * * * 22 * * * the defendant does not have same in its possession, custody or control, and, therefore, the motion for the production of the documents, papers, books, etc., referred...

https://www.fastcase.com/Google/Sta...46b727af0946a7f60bc5c458ee7fd151fe9e944e12e2d

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Intresting !

Thought I seen it all.
I never knew about that

thanks Peerless67

narragansett

Jun 14, 2007
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
None yet

What a great thread and very interesting read. That being said, it must have been a very strange and weird feeling to be right on that site.

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device

This is really what treasure hunting is all about. The families will appreciate the recovery of their relatives articles. People lost their lives there.....to me that makes their items sacred. They are so much more than just treasure. I very much enjoyed this story... it is history....something that really happened. Wish I would have read about it sooner.

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4

I'm glad this topic came back up to the top. This is an amazing story of not only a tragic event but of the HUGE efforts put forth by two members to go out there and resurrect pieces of the day. Jeff, I will never forget the day you came and showed me the ring and teeth. I never told you, but that was the day that I KNEW I would one day follow in your shoes as a treasure hunter, LOL. I wish I had gotten into the hobby earlier in life, but I'm glad I have now started. Thanks for that and thanks for sharing the story with everyone and all your kind acts to those involved. It shows the people who don't know you personally how good of a person you really are :hello2:

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing story! It's great that you maintained the persistience and patience to research and dig this site for some amazing finds. This story only furthers my own resolve and diligence with MDing.

And, to top it off, I now know where jeff_of_pa's avatar comes from!

Great work and I look forward reading more updates and pondering more pieces of information puzzle.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow!!! Great post!!!

I read up on this flight. My understanding is that, essentially, the pilots asphyxiated themselves by missing a step in operating the fire suppression system on the plane. Probably, a contributing cause was the low time the captain had in the DC-6. Really, both pilots were relatively low time in that aircraft.

Sad that a simple mistake could lead to such tragedy, as the plane was never on fire and in perfect operating condition before being flown into the side of the mountain.

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome posts guys... Super finds! The teeth are a little eerie knowing they were from the crash but still... What a find!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o :o :o

I wasn't around in 2005 when this was first posted :-\ now I see were your Avarter comes from :icon_thumleft: I was wondering did you make the Banner with this post :dontknow: The history here and the story of the recovery finds made by yourself and buddy...well I haven't read the whole post yet, but I am going to :icon_thumleft:

I might be lucky to dig Ancient coins here, but I would have given my hind teeth to have been there with you guys. I will proberly post again later, after reading the whole thread :headbang:

SS

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
:o :o :o

I wasn't around in 2005 when this was first posted :-\ now I see were your Avarter comes from :icon_thumleft: I was wondering did you make the Banner with this post :dontknow: The history here and the story of the recovery finds made by yourself and buddy...well I haven't read the whole post yet, but I am going to :icon_thumleft:

I might be lucky to dig Ancient coins here, but I would have given my hind teeth to have been there with you guys. I will proberly post again later, after reading the whole thread :headbang:

SS

There was no banner in 2005
& if there was It wouldn't have Qualified.

we made the Finds in 2003 & 2004.

I Made the Post in Best Finds & It ended up here :tongue3:

I Actually waited till We were done with the site,
& our permissions were No longer possable,
Before deciding on making a post.

Didn't want a Mad rush of hunters.

The Owners were Nice enough to give us
Exclusive Permission.

wenkendall

Nov 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

I know this post has been idle for awhile, but I just learned of the crash this summer when I lost my father. His father, Walter Kendall, was a passenger on this flight and I have found this thread very informative. Can you tell me if there are still remnants at the site? I would like to visit the site next summer.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is Not Much you Can see anymore.

There are Remains of The Transformer the Plane hit,
& The Pole Line on the Embankment The Plane
Crashed Into are Viewable, Within the woods.

The Site is Heavily Posted, and there was always
somone Sitting in a Vehicle at the Dirt road in,
Counting trucks.

They were always Friendly, But it's been a good many
years now. I Doubt they are the same crew.
I Doubt you would have A problem with Being alowed
on To check it out Though.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Great thread and pics!

All the best,

Lanny

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

if you need to help to clean the area, I am your man ..... I take but 50 %.... is a joke ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread