United Mine Workers Ribbon

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys any idea on the value of this. I found one that was from the 1800s for $80, but this one doesn’t have a date and is for 8 hours. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559067954.782605.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559067997.760703.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking into the history of coal mining in Bear Creek and the style of the these articles I would place the time of when they were made around 1890s to the early 1910s. I'm thinking the value would be about what they're asking, but take a look at historical Montana items sold on eBay. I've seen some early artifacts related to the old mining districts of Montana sell rather well. Another thing being historical UMW related might also have some interest to collectors.

Last edited:

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait, someone got a ribbon for working in a mine. Sounds like something a union would do... I always wondered when participation ribbons were founded

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I emailed UMWA over the weekend and just heard back from them. Here is what it says:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for reaching out to us! In regards to the 8 hour ribbon you’re inquiring about, back in 1890 when the UMWA was founded, employees worked 100 hours a week. Through years of pressure from the United Mine Workers to reform working conditions and protect the hard working people of the coal industry, and many other labor heavy occupations, the Union was able to sign an agreement with coal operators. In January of 1898, UMWA representatives and company operators met in a joint conference where the agreement was signed. The changes agreed upon included union recognition, wage increases, the check off system (operators' guarantee that union dues would be deducted from wages), uniform standards for weighing coal and the 8-hour day for coal mine workers! The 8-hour work day was an incredible success in labor history and a win that should have and should always be upheld.

In regards to the value of the 8-hour ribbon in your possession, I am unsure of its monetary value. To us, it is priceless of course! Online I have seen the ribbon being sold for anywhere from $25 to hundreds of dollars!

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that’s pretty awesome they actually emailed you back with some history. I always knew those guys had it rough but I can’t imagine what 100 hours a week in a coal mine would be like!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfathers father got black lung i think most of em did

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread