Unknown coin

andipapas

Sep 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I will need your help in order to identify this coin and its value. Can you help me? DSC_0562.JPG DSC_0563.JPG

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ok...this is what I "think" I know.....the value seems to be 30, which seems odd, but there also seems to be no date, odd too....it is written in Arabic script, which means it could also be Iranian....but most (not all) Muslim countries tend to avoid a representation of a person on coins.

...i think it is from the 1960's or 70's...and I also have a feeling it is a token of some sort and not a coin at all.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
...ok so here is some more....it is not the number 30...just the number three....and the side without the head says..."ya allah" and is a blessing that means "my dear god".....

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
ok....so i just got corrected by an 8 year old Iraqi girl....that is not a "three", it is part of "allah".....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

andipapas

Sep 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather was in Libya back in the 60s. I think is a medal with Gaddafi on it ???

Upvote 0

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did TONS of research on this the other day and came up completely empty. I looked through coinage for just about every Islamic nation I could think of, including north african countries, but could not find a match anywhere. A few similar but nothing exact. The bust is obviously of a military general, and all I could think of was ghadaffi. I could find no example of a date being written in the style on the reverse, and found out its not a date as just about every coin from the middle east has the date written twice, once in the traditional islamic calendar format and one in the Gregorian calendar format. I believe it is some form of token or political propaganda.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread